FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains drop out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 8:11am
Originally posted by peterb peterb wrote:

The PowerInspired regenerator with battery backup looks like the sort of thing, not cheap though!

Yes, it would at least allow you to safely power off your system until the mains supply
recovers.
Not a cheap solution agreed, but the PowerInspired equipment is considerably cheaper
than some similar equipment primarily designed & intended for 'audiophile' use...Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 4:58am
I used to own a PowerInspired AG1500 and it was very effective in maintaining a consistent sound at all times although I did not use it with power amplifiers. Extremely good value as well, it was only sold when we switched the house to solar PV/battery storage.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 6:52am
Solar power.

I have limited knowledge of how solar power works in a domestic situation.

Are you able to outline how it works in respect of powering items, storesge etc?

Presumably this supports rather than replaces the national grid?

Does it sound any different?

Does anyone else have any experiences?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 12:56pm
Wouldn't it be nice to go off-grid Evil Smile

To get rid of those uncooperative call-centre idiots you have to deal with every time they screw up your account - you know, the thick people with even thicker accounts managers, all owned by some heartless bastard who knows nothing about business or people or ...

Edited by Graham Slee - 21 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 2:28pm
Basically Richard, our house has a 4kw solar array on a south facing rear roof and 6.2kw battery storage. An inverter manages the interface between solar and grid electricity so that anything generated is fed to the house first until it exceeds current usage, with the remaining going to the batteries. Once they are full, the remainder is exported to the grid (helpfully, home owners are paid for all of this regardless of whether they use it or not Smile)

Although we have been overseas for many weeks, I can see from an online app that the house has run from batteries/solar since early April with just a few short occasions where a couple of consecutive cloudy days meant that short periods in the night reverted to mains power as the batteries dropped to their standby point (4%). It hasn't used mains power at all since we travelled because naturally there is very little background consumption (in our case just fridge/freezer, a few timed lights and of course a few PSU1s - total about 315w/hr).

Whenever the batteries have charge and the house is powered by them, we are effectively 'off grid'. 

On grey winter days we use mostly grid power. In total, solar generates about 70% of the elec we use annually which is nice.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 3:59pm
Any difference battery power to grid feed?

Graham you should try British Gas who I have to deal with for our business! It would be an insult to compare with a stupid zombie!😖
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 7:17pm
I contacted Power Inspired and had a reply within the day.
I outlined my need and put a 300W maximum on it.
They recommends their AG500 ReGenerator. It provides a clean 500W 230V 50Hz from its Invertor and if the mains fails or dips its battery will hold up its output for a period dependant upon current draw.
It looks like a really good solution for my concerns. All for 275 notes (old pre-coin jargon) !

Thanks for the suggestion and link.
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic