FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains drop out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mains drop out
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:36pm
Having read lots of posts on this Forum I think I am like many other members, living in a rural area with not the most stable of mains electricity supply. This year we have had at least 4 losses of supply (brownouts), some which lasted over 15 minutes and others, like yesterday which was only a couple of seconds. This led me to think how could I protect my HiFi from these Mains failures, particularly the very short cycles which I think could be quite damaging.
There are lots of UPSs available but they have been designed to work with PCs etc, not Amps and Preamps. (as far as I can tell).

Have any other members faced, or even better, solved this problem?

Peter

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:13pm
We have had short outages that killed two fridges. My mains hubs do have some protection.

On a few occasions I have noticed the sound has been markedly different before and after both ways.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm
Similar problem for me, quite frequent very short interruptions during storms. O/head line breakers usually automatically cut back in after a few seconds. I've not suffered any equipment failures (yet, fingers crossed ). Sound sometimes takes a little time to come back to normal, annoying but not too troublesome.
I would think that the best solution for the low power 24V DC equipment would be a supplementary battery supply with auto switching and off demand charging circuit. Depends on whether you want to listen during power loss or just maintain the  power supply. Higher powered equipment such as amplifiers presents a different problem in that batteries would have to be quite large to manage anything but the quiescent current, but  it can be done.
I'm not sure how good some of the better UPS units are at producing a clean sinewave that won't upset the main smoothing capacitors in linear power supplies. I know from using LiPo battery chargers on Lead-acid battery driven inverters that smoothing capacitors can fail due to the synthesised sine wave - messy.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:15pm
A company called PowerInspired make a range of UPS systems & mains regenerators.
I've been using their AG1500 regenerator for several years & it has been very reliable.

An enquiry to them regarding their battery backup systems might be worthwhile.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 5:18pm
My target would be a safe shutdown, not really interested in using my HiFi during an outage.
As I said in my first post my major concern is the very short breaks in supply. What happens to the circuits that have just started to see a collapse in voltage only to get a pulse of full voltage. Can't see that would be good for the life of some components.
Peter
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:12pm
Sounds like you are looking for some form of spike protection?
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:28pm
The PowerInspired regenerator with battery backup looks like the sort of thing, not cheap though!
Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic