FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:37pm
I'm using braid screened 2.5mm 3 core mains cable into IEC plugs, primarily to avoid possible interference to interconnects jumbled up behind the equipment (probably unnecessary). 

As for audible improvements from such short links in the mains supply, I'm sorry to say that I remain a sceptic and do not see any logical explanation or concern myself with the consumer unit, breakers, substation, terminations, copper cables etc being used back to the utility company.

Having said that, I love the sound of my system and am very happy just listening to music.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:41pm
Ps the mains are multiscreened on EACH of the live, neutral and earth lines as well as having other insulation and screening and ferrite rings.

Regards
Richard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 3:45pm
...as to the final metre, yes I agree in theory this is silly but true my mains to cd & amp are around a foot long one less than!

Length doesn't seem to matter too much here but no idea why.

Richard
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:49pm
Surprisingly I found this this WHF forum thread interesting. Not a place I normally hang out, but there were a few good contributions from an anonymous pro cable designer. Pertinent to our earthing topic too

Edited by DaveG - 30 Jan 2016 at 6:50pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 8:06pm
Have tried two mAins filters and got rid as i could tell no real difference. Aware of someone with expensive PS audio power plant who also saw significant benefit being fed by the same power cable I use.
Richard
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 8:30pm
What a really fascinating thread that WHF one is, for many reasons. Thanks for the link.

I found myself speculating about whether the reaction from WHF was in response to private expressions of complaint from WHF's advertisers about what was being posted on their forum!
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 9:38am
Not often I read a whole thread on WHF - but what an interesting read (even if it did degenerate somewhat). 

I wonder what John C thinks about the posts?

Edited by morris_minor - 31 Jan 2016 at 9:39am
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic