FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Mains cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mains cables
    Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:21pm
Agree over cables though whilst I am not convinced Graham agrees but the one cable not in the GSP range is the mains cable. In my experience mains does provide the biggest overall improvement (including mains hub/block) -rubbish in rubbish out. I tried several brands of mains before settling on one brand during which time I have migrated successfully to their top of the range for block and amp/cd. Some are overpriced vs performance whilst others provide in my experience a bigger improvement in all aspects than spending £1,000+ on electronics.

Richard
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 11:40pm
We may do it one day Richard, and we'll let you test them for us.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:16am
Hi Richard,
Always thought of £500 kettle leads as being snake oil. What's your experience/recommendations?

There seem to be thousands of the things around, silver ones, screened ones, plaited ones, ones which solid silver IEC connectors, rhodium plated plugs, gold plaited fuses... The list goes on. Makes me think it's all complete bobbins!

Any noise will either be induced, so some sort of twisted construction is needed to give a good common mode rejection or via contact so some sort filter on the incoming. I always thought the power supply in the unit would take care of any noise but noise is a funny thing.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

I always thought the power supply in the unit would take care of any noise but noise is a funny thing.

That seems to be the argument put forward by the guy from Blue Jeans cable and it certainly made me stop & think, y'know if a cable guy doesn't want to sell mains cable?? It also seems an entirely logical argument to me. Also the Power supply to my TT for instance, is supposed to be Never Connected. Dunno what that means in reality, but the idea is that the DC side is effectively Isolated from anything that goes on in the AC side.

Other people swear that mains cables make a huge difference. Both can't be right so one camp is wrong. But which?

My own personal jury is out. I do have "proper" mains cables & a good quality distribution block but not anything particularly exotic. (Some people might say that £450 on a distribution block or £250 on a 1m bit of mains lead is beyond exotic & more like borderline lunacy -  audiophile land is a different world to the one most people live in tho Wink)
  • I have some Reference PowerKords (braided) and the most expensive by far.
  • Some bespoke cable made from Belden 19364 (screened) as used by Mark Levinson amongst others. It's also the cheapest.
  • Some other Stuff with some sort of Ferrite powder in there- bought maybe 15 years ago- can't remember the manufacturer.
The cheapest sounds no different to the most expensive to my ears but I know it's not exactly a big sample of what's available. It's also many years since I did a comparison against stock mains leads, but I did think I was gaining an improvement at the time.

Maybe I should just borrow some expensive cables & find out for sure?

Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 2:39pm
As far as mains cables go, I have difficulty in accepting that the final metre of cable of a long chain of cables and connections from a power station can have any significant effect on the "quality" of electricity seen by a piece of equipment.

I can understand that having mains filters can alter what the equipment receives, and if cables can act in similar ways then maybe there is something in this. But I'm loath to spend a potful of money in an area inhabited by a lot of snake oil merchants. Should Graham ever produce a mains cable I'd be first in the loan queue to have a listen . . .  Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:16pm
I tend to agree, although is that statement also saying in a roundabout way that there's no difference in mains plugs, fuses and IEC connectors too?
Aren't ears brilliant
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:40pm
I'd say that all IEC connectors aren't equal, if only because some don't fit that well. Keeping contacts clean is surely a sensible thing too. Sound wise, I really don't know and I've honestly never even thought about fuse changes. That's why my own leads tend to be on the more basic side but not bog standard. Gold or Silver plated MK's & Wattgate IEC's. I must admit some of my IEC's aren't as snug as they could be, but the plug on the end of the lead is only half of the connection...Confused
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic