FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Low frequency rumble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by AdamG AdamG wrote:

Hello from a new member

I've just replaced a my pre & power amp with a new integrated and GSP Communicator phono stage and am getting woofer pumping that hadn't occurred previously.

The driver movement is cyclic, greater on the outside tracks where cantilever travel is greater compared to inside tracks, and relative to volume (obvious even just above low volume but increases with volume). It doesn't seem to be causing any obvious erroneous though.

I understand this to be low frequency rumble. Nothings changed with the TT which is Technics 1200 with ATM 440MLA.

Am I right in attributing the rumble to the change in phono stage or could there be another cause.

Thanks Adam

I'd have said it's warps. Even with the flattest records there's sufficient energy when you consider the tiniest stylus excursion can result in thundering bass. I've never noticed rumble to such an extent with a Technics SL1200.

Some phono stages use sharp filtering of subsonics but this can send the bass too far out of phase. However, during extreme cone excursions, at the extremes of travel you can run out of movement for higher bass frequencies. But let's not panic - if you observe some "tighter" cones (especially in professional situations), they hardly seem to move whilst producing some powerful bass. Unless you're getting bass clipping (a scratchy noise on extreme bass) there should be no need for concern.

Edit: If I thought users speakers were at risk I wouldn't have been making commercial phono stages this way for more than 12 years. Speakers are more at risk from DC offset and being driven into clipping by weak amplifiers. I consider our £1,476 Harbeth M20 mini monitors safe with this amount of cone excursion on warps.

Edited by Graham Slee - 19 Mar 2012 at 9:07am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 9:33pm
I know enough to understand why Graham is right about the adverse affects of filters compared to any theoretical risk to speakers or amps. "Rumble" would be audible as bass between songs at reasonable volumes (80dB), warps would not be. Adam can you feel or hear anything between tracks, please? If it is record warps/arm resonances it would be sofa/room shaking ultra low bass rather than noises in the register of low pitched instruments.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 19 Mar 2012 at 9:34pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
AdamG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Adam can you feel or hear anything between tracks, please?

Still trying different albums (not much time at the moment) but of the 6 or more I've played all are producing equal pumping more pronounced on outer tracks.

The last one at least was causing pumping between tracks. No noise between tracks and hard to comment on any SQ issues during but nothing obvious.

I am starting to understand the inherent rumble of vinyl recording but the driver excursion I'm seeing on outer tracks is significant (have to say near ~75%) at moderate volume.

It's difficult for me to gauge how severe the pumping is as I haven't seen this on anyone else's set-up or with my previous NAD1155 pre.

FYI my amps 55W high current.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:41am
Thanks Adam. If it's inaudible and on all the records you chose, it could be an arm resonance issue where any warp makes the arm wobble, moves the stylus/cantilever, etc. We can explore that by popping the arm and cart details (Technics 1200 with ATM 440MLA) into one of the calculators on VE, to find what the resonant frequency would be in theory. Then a test record with a LF track and try some arm damping. It may not be that but it's worth checking out. I'll follow up after work and post again.

Reassuring you, my cones visibly move ("pump" is a good description btw) on a number of records when I turn the volume up.

Jon

Edited by Fatmangolf - 20 Mar 2012 at 8:48am
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 9:51am

Just throwing this out for consideration, when you installed the cartridge, did you "zero balance" the arm and reset the VTF scale to 0 before applying the appropriate amount of VTF ?

Apologies if I am labouring the obvious here, but it is a necessary step prior to any further adjustment to the setup to reduce the severity of the issue without compromising desirable response.

AdamG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:35am
Thanks for your help and reassurance on this Fatman

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

If it's inaudible and on all the records you chose, it could be an arm resonance issue where any warp makes the arm wobble, moves the stylus/cantilever, etc.

Interesting you should raise this as my original post on my local forum (SNA) before knowing much about rumble was titled something like 'Cantilever compliance causing unwanted driver movement'.

This was my first impression of the cone pumping. It also appears others find rumble varies with albums but I haven't seen this yet with my situation.

I also tried some Harrison lab 20Hz high pass filters which had no effect not that I think this is a substitute for a proper rumble filter.

I'll be offline for a few days but will investigate arm/cart more when I get back from work.

Adam
AdamG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdamG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 10:40am
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Just throwing this out for consideration, when you installed the cartridge, did you "zero balance" the arm and reset the VTF scale to 0 before applying the appropriate amount of VTF ?

Welcome all possibilities tg. The cart was set up properly when fitted but I haven't revisited for some time.

I'm using 1.6 g VTF which from memory is at low end of manufacturer recommendations.

Reseting VTF and even trying another cart was one of my next tests.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic