FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Live music on CD or Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live music on CD or Vinyl
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
Is it just me. there seems to be something about a live recording that I like one of these is the sense of scale I seem to hear the gap between the band members. I do like hearing the audience as well, on some records I have you don't hear them which to me is a pity because to me that is all part of a live recording. There are other things but I just can't pin point them maybe it's the band artist playing their music as they would of liked with out the mixing and editing or what ever they do in the studio at the time of recording. It just maybe the acoustics of the place their in or out as the case maybe.
I just like live recordings.Clap

Edited by lfc jon - 14 Jan 2022 at 3:28pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 4:25pm
I must admit that my opinion has changed. I was never a great fan of live recordings, with the opinion that audience noise is a distraction and band sound systems rarely sounded as good as studio equipment. However, my view has changed, some of my favourite albums are live recordings which capture the ambience of the locations. Some of this might be down to better repro systems (GS Accession etc) giving pin point soundstage and clarity to separate instrument or players that I'd not experienced previously. To my hearing albums like Mick Fleetwood's 'Music of Pete Green' really gives feeling of presence in the hall. A few which I really like would include Buena Vista Social Club, John Martyn 'Live At Leeds', even The Who at the same venue but the list goes on.
I think it goes along with a better appreciation of live music and trying to capture that sound.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 5:08pm
One of my favourites is Deacon Blue "live at the Glasgow Barrowlands" I'm always playing that vinyl album. I have also got some Pink Floyd albums too but on CD. I have just got "The Go-Go's" when they played in Japan in 1982, I have only recently got their albums after years of meaning to get some of their music, I will say I'm not disappointed.
What you said and I quote "ambience of the location" is probably the words I was looking for.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:50pm
Agree with Mike about better gear making the music shine also with Jon, good choices.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 4:52pm
I'm just listening to Simple Minds live album In The City Of Light, What a brilliant two CDs album.  

Edited by lfc jon - 03 Jul 2022 at 4:53pm
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:10pm
Today I have received The Go Go's  LIVE, Emerald City, New Jersey 81. Yet to play it.
RileyD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RileyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 2:12am
A few live recordings that have had my ear lately that really work as a live performance:

George Lloyd, 8 Kindred Spirits from the Lobero
Tedeschi Trucks Band, Layla Revisited Live at Lockn'
Tedeschi Trucks Band, Everybody's Talkin'

enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic