FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Leak Sandwich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bencat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 12:26pm
Hello
I have just joined this forum and thank you for approving me . What I want to ask is do you have the crossover points for the Leak Sandwich two way . I believe the crossover point is 900hz . The reason I am asking is that I want to try and get a pair of 250 units and convert them to active using a MiniDSP DDRC 24 unit which will handle both the crossover duties and also have DIRAC Live as a DSP function to smooth out the out put in the room . I will then use 2 x Stereo Power Amps one for each speaker to drive the whole thing .

I have always like the look of the Leak Sandwich driver and would hope that driving as noted above should be able to get the best out of these drivers .

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Bencat Bencat wrote:

I have always like the look of the Leak Sandwich driver and would hope that driving as noted above should be able to get the best out of these drivers .

Welcome to the forum.

I will just add my own reply to the above, and that is I gave up in frustration. I bought a pair of Harbeth M20s, then a pair of Stirling LS35a's, which in my opinion are light-years better.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Bencat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:07pm
Thanks Graham

I appreciate your reply have to say though feelings are mixed . I like Harbeth speakers and own a pair of Compact Monitors which I use every day as the front pair in an AV system . Can well understand you preferring these to the Leaks they are a very special mfg and they make very natural sounding speakers .
The same can not be said for the LS3 5A while they use (in the original KEF units similar to my KEF 103) they do not sound anything similar and i have never been able to live with the various pairs I have heard (Rodgers , Spendor , Kef , Chartwell) must be honest and say never heard the Stirling implementation so will keep stum about those.

As the Leak units I am looking for are pretty cheap there is not much to lose by giving them a try . I have given myself a cool off period to till after the Kegworth Show and if they are still there then will probably buy them .If i do will drop a line or two about how it comes along.
Sinbiotic23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinbiotic23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 3:27pm
Hello Graham, 

Firstly thanks to those who approved my membership! 

Recently picked up a pair of these speakers, and astounded by their beauty and old engineering. Found this forum after looking up information about them and would love to do this upgrade as a small project. Just have a few questions about the method.

1) For the capacitors to be rated for an amplifier power up to 100W, would a voltage rating of 300v work, or would this be too high?
2) Is there any reason the capacitors weren't mounted on a vero board or something similar, would doing this affect tonal qualities?

Lastly I'd just like to see if you could remember what capacitors you used, I have linked underneath which I have found for the 4.7, however can't seem to find on the data sheet whether this is unwound or not. Whilst I have messed about with speakers in similar ways, I have never had to find and compare such specific things as these

https://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b32926c3475k000/cap-4-7-f-10-pp/dp/2797932
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2019 at 6:34pm
Try this: https://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b32522c0475j000/cap-4-7-f-63v-5-pet/dp/2468864

100W into 8 ohms has an a.c. voltage of 28.28V, which has a peak of 40V, so 63V DC will do nicely.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 3:36pm
Hi Graham,
Are active cross overs any good? As the Proprius amps are so small 4 could be utilised for left, right and high and low frequency.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2019 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Hi Graham,
Are active cross overs any good? As the Proprius amps are so small 4 could be utilised for left, right and high and low frequency.

They might make it easier for each amp to drive the load, but to be perfectly honest, active crossovers are something I never got around to trying.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic