FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Lazy Product Design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 10:22pm
Well one thing I do know is that my Bitzie is sounding superb and getting better every day!

Congratulations on such an amazing product GrahamClap
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Frostg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frostg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 9:46am
Yes i had a bitzie on the loaner scheme and it was vey good. I would have liked to compare it to the Majestic, but no loaner Majestic here in Aus! ;-(
My biggest issue was the software i had does not down sample, most annoying! Maybe time to try other software.

also what is the difference between the DAC chips and a few companies talk about programable gate arrays, it is all a different language to me, but is there a real difference or another marketing ploy?
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 12:51pm
"I would have liked to compare it to the Majestic, but no loaner Majestic here in Aus! "

Hey, Frostg,
     I have a Majestic on the way to Bendigo, Victoria. Are you nearby? More than welcome to come for a listen.
Mick.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 6:38pm
The Bitzie sounds great and is honestly marketed.

USB can play 96kHz seems to be a fine bit of double-speak. It's like me saying I can walk at over 50mph... ...along a moving train.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

It's like me saying I can walk at over 50mph... ...along a moving train.

Well put!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 2:14pm
Out of interest Graham, what does the Majestic Dac do with 96/192 stuff over a USB connection?
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Stewboss Stewboss wrote:

Out of interest Graham, what does the Majestic Dac do with 96/192 stuff over a USB connection?

Nothing...

But your music software, left to its own devices, will (or should) convert it to 48 (just like some of the drivers I mentioned earlier do).

The Majestic unashamedly uses the same chip as in the Bitzie, but with most of its functions disabled/unused. Its only purpose being that of converting USB to data, which is then presented to the Wolfson WM8804 which cleans up the clock as it does to S/PDIF (sometimes refered to as reclocking, but without changing the clock frequency).

The USB to data conversion uses adaptive transfer (which is guaranteed bandwidth isochronous).

No bus power is used - the chip has power from the Majestic internal power regulators - power originates from the PSU1.

Two (exclusive to the USB chip) linear regulators are used - one for the chip's logic functions and the other for its phase locked loop.

Unfortunately we don't have a measurement process for USB sourced jitter, but we have for S/PDIF on both coax and optical (measured at 140ps). However all three input types (USB included) are measured for SMPTE intermodulation distortion, and USB measures second behind coax and ahead of optical at 0.008%. THD being 0.0025% at both 1kHz and 10kHz...

I reckon its good, partly due to the guaranteed bandwidth transfer, partly due to the "reclocking" (which the asynchronous lot also sometimes have), partly due to my choice of oversampling filter in the high end Wolfson DAC, and partly because of the unique analogue stages that follow.

I would pitch it against any of the so-called hi-res USB DACs and let the SQ and musical involvement the Majestic approach brings do the talking.

Edit: (with one proviso, that the test is carried out and listened to by real people and not the hi-fi press!)

Graham

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Jul 2014 at 8:33pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic