FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Lautus/Cusat review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 6:14pm
I've observed voltage standing waves while looking for differences between identical length CuSat50 and Lautus cables, but to no avail as the signal generator only goes to 20MHz. Fun to watch apparent gain from wire, but it cannot prove my intentions. I'm afraid theory isn't good enough, unless it's an adopted theory, but mine isn't.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I've observed voltage standing waves while looking for differences between identical length CuSat50 and Lautus cables, but to no avail as the signal generator only goes to 20MHz. Fun to watch apparent gain from wire, but it cannot prove my intentions. I'm afraid theory isn't good enough, unless it's an adopted theory, but mine isn't.
The Vector Network Analyzer my son has will sweep from 50kHz up to 2GHz. All he would need is a cable with RF type connectors (N-type or SMA) in place of RCA/Phono and could run a cable test across those frequencies to get meaningful measurements. Worth pursuing?
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2021 at 8:51pm
I've no idea what results he'll get but if BNC's are acceptable, I can supply adaptors, then it will be a complete test. John C is stand-in UK loan coordinator, so I can ask him to send a mono of each.

And if that doesn't tell us anything, then the difference must be a figment of our imagination Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:01am
How are you measuring the VSWR at the moment? The addition of Ferrites to a coaxial cable can be an effective way to suppress common mode currents but would have little effect on the differential currents measured when determining VSWR of a cable/load in a conventional VSWR measurement.

Any measurement would obviously have to take into account the differences in impedances between the 50ohm VNA and the 75ohm audio cable/connectors used in hifi interconnects.  For a short lengths of good quality cable like this, I would expect that the effects of mis-matches at the adapters/cable terminations to dominate the results.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by jwatson jwatson wrote:

How are you measuring the VSWR at the moment? 

I'm not. Like I said "fun to watch..." It doesn't explain a damn thing, and unless I can measure some attenuation at 100 and 200 MHz, then it's completely subjective, and I would be happy to leave it like that. However, suitably equipped members here can have a go and I'm happy to loan them the cables.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I've no idea what results he'll get but if BNC's are acceptable, I can supply adaptors, then it will be a complete test. John C is stand-in UK loan coordinator, so I can ask him to send a mono of each.

And if that doesn't tell us anything, then the difference must be a figment of our imagination Wink
BNC is fine, son has adapters to take that to the SMA(F) ports of the VNA. Shall I PM John with contact details?

PS Apart from son being radio ham, his day job is Sat-coms design (airborne, mobile, fixed), so should be able to get something meaningful from this exercise

Edited by gwebster - 16 Aug 2021 at 1:44pm
Inspire Apollo tt, O/L modded RB250, Ortofon 2M Black, Slee Different Approach inspired Phono, Putzeys Pre, Cusat, Raspberry Pi/Volumio, Bitzie, Self Load Invariant Power, Acoustic Energy AE509s
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:25pm
Thanks for persevering with this. Your son's equipment sounds just the ticket.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic