FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Killer LPs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

From memory Genesis' Abacab is difficult, but haven't played it for years...
I've heard some average sounding demos of 'In The Flesh' on Floyd's The Wall.

Agreed, that's another.

Edited by Graham Slee - 24 Jul 2017 at 10:17am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 2:03pm
"Killer LPs" are vinyl records which stress equipment to its limits and therefore should be used by every designer worth his salt in phono stage design!

Often this is not the case. I know of one who used "suitable music", and at shows "simple music" is generally all that's on offer.

Also, if you play difficult stuff at shows it often offends the pipe and slippers brigade, who seem to be the most vociferous on forums. Perhaps they should format their text in "green ink"?

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 6:42pm
Is there an opposite list of easy playing music unlikely to embarass lo-fi?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 7:28pm
Well there is the traditional demo stuff that tends (or used) to get played at shows. Whilst they can sound exceptional appears difficult to sound bad.

E.g. Brothers in Arms dire straights
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

They are also the very records you are likely to be thrown out of demo rooms at shows with:

Yes - Close To The Edge

Many years ago this was a regular on my turntable but I become disenchanted with repeated plays, possibly for the reason it appears on Graham's list, and it was filed away.

But that was before I invested in one of his phono stages, in addition the vinyl front end and electronics have all since been upgraded.

So today I pulled out my 45 year old copy and put it through the RCM.

What a transformation! The multi-layered presentation is crystal clear and draws you into the music; you could chose any instrument in the mix and follow it individually.

Transported me back to a gig of theirs in Oxford in November 1973! Thumbs Up

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 5:17am
I guess it helps having a designer who still plays those old records as part of his job (as well as for pleasure). Cool

The point is that it tracks OK and the cartridge is capable of outputting the contents of the groove in near perfect or perfect condition. So if it won't play well, and if the record isn't damaged, the electronics has to be suspect.

Things changed in electronics around 10 years ago. The new shrink size packages (SSOP) use much smaller dies, and the larger DIL and SOIC packages swapped to using the smaller dies (Moore's Law). It can mean an improvement in performance, but failure to grasp that everything runs a lot faster can mean the opposite.

And with analysers only testing established measurements which were thought up way back, new stuff might measure the same, but it doesn't sound the same, because disturbances not revealed by analysers are so readily picked up by shrink dies. So greater discipline in design is required.

The obvious alternative is valves. No such problem there! Apart from missing a lot of the music which can be lifted from the groove by grasping modern methods.

One other problem standing in the way is turntable arm wiring. Those old HMV record players got it right - Mr Gandy is getting warm - VPI very cold ...

The voice in the wilderness!

Edited by Graham Slee - 28 Jul 2017 at 5:20am
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 9:49am
My journey into the world of hi-fi started in the late sixties with a HMV record player. A good piece of kit, you could even add a second speaker but of course it wasn't stereo.

This eventually gave way, via Pioneer, to one of Mr Gandy's early products.

I'm now an advocate of Mark Baker's design philosophy and use his excellent (imo) products. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic