FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Keeping is Stealing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

The "drop-off at your local store" type couriers tend to lose things, or it takes weeks for the goods to arrive and I consider that to be a sh*t service (don't want to offend - just telling it as I've found it).

Damn right. 4 of my last 5 deliveries were via a courier who offer a drop off service. Twice I paid an extra £20 for a Saturday delivery that simply didn't turn up**. Twice they dropped off to a local store of my choice and emailed me to tell me the package was there. Only problem was they dropped it off to a completely different store to what they told me. I'm quite happy to offend... they drive brown vans & have a P a U and an S in their name. If your vendor uses them I recommend you go and collect it yourself.. even if you walk it'll be quicker in the long run.

The one package that did get through came via RM and was delivered on a Saturday at no extra cost. Even better...  it had an Accession inside Big smile.

Rant over.. That's fortunately not typical of all couriers in my experience and personally I think RM are as good as anyone - but maybe they don't offer the discounts the others do to drum up trade?

In general I reckon the odd package may go astray but I'd hazard a guess that of those 5 that haven't returned loan gear, at least 5 of them are trying it on. (unless they returned it via UPS of course)

** the vendors refunded my £20 within minutes both times and were as appalled as I was. So no fault there.

Edited by DaveG - 25 Apr 2016 at 6:42pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by stvn758 stvn758 wrote:

I don't drive and would not like to carry such an expensive item a mile to Frimley. Other couriers collect the item for you, as long as it's tracked and insured is that okay? 

I can empathise with that, I once walked a mile to my local PO with an early 80's Betamax Video Recorder cradled in my arms.  After weighing it the girl on the counter had trouble lifting it down onto the floor Tongue

Seriously though, courier services seem to have taken a pretty sharp dip in quality in recent years.  I went for about 5-6yrs without a single lost parcel but the last couple of years have been quite bad.  I've had a lot of trouble with items purchased from PledgeMusic (artists ship their own products so this is no reflection on the website).  Out of six projects that I have backed two vanished in transit and one was left in a puddle outside my front door in the rain.  All three were replaced without issue when I contacted the sender but it doesn't make the couriers look very good.  A particularly useless outfit identifies with a certain mythical, winged messenger, pretty ironic really.  I tend to believe people when they say things got lost in the post, after all it does happen, but then I am a bit of a sucker LOL
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
stvn758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stvn758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by IntempestaNocte IntempestaNocte wrote:

Originally posted by stvn758 stvn758 wrote:

I don't drive and would not like to carry such an expensive item a mile to Frimley. Other couriers collect the item for you, as long as it's tracked and insured is that okay? 

I can empathise with that, I once walked a mile to my local PO with an early 80's Betamax Video Recorder cradled in my arms.  After weighing it the girl on the counter had trouble lifting it down onto the floor Tongue

Think I have been getting my cm and mm confused, the Majestic seems to be a compact thing. It's the photos and Mr Slee's imposing silver case-work that makes them look like monsters. Sixteen hundred quid, put it in my bike pannier and hope people think it's a packed lunch in there as I cycle by.

Special Delivery is just under £30. 

Edited by stvn758 - 25 Apr 2016 at 8:19pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:20pm
I use Parcelforce 48 as it is reasonably cheap for large and heavier packages., insured, and recorded. No Saturday deliveries but great otherwise.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
stvn758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stvn758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 9:45pm
It's the Insurance that seems to bump up the price horrendously with Parcel Force as soon as you put£1600 value in the box. Do loaner items have to be insured or is the Tracked Parcel Force 48 service sufficient.

Otherwise I'm looking at £60 Special delivery there and back which is slightly less frightening than it going missing in the post and Mr Slee getting a less than majestic hundred quid PF compensation cheque instead of his DAC.  Ouch

Edited by stvn758 - 25 Apr 2016 at 9:50pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2016 at 11:32pm
Maybe try a Bitzie and Lautus USB cable on the loan scheme instead (super light and cheap parcel). The Majestic USB conserves a lot of the Bitzie USB circuitry so will demonstrate the kind of sound to be expected from the Majestic. A Bitzie through a Sennheiser HD540 Reference II headphone, as some of my customers on this forum can confirm, is a truly amazing combination. The Majestic uses a dedicated linear power supply (PSU1), not USB bus power, and the USB digital-to-analogue conversion in the Majestic is performed by the same chip-set that handles the S/PDIF, not performed by the USB chipset like in the Bitzie. These two design alterations allow for a performance lift over the Bitzie.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 8:44am
Gutted to hear this sort of crap even happens. As I said to the wonderful Fatmangolf (Jon) when he came over to mine for lunch, the loaner programme has been the key factor in my journey into purchasing GSP products. I did express my wonder - and am still overwhelmed - by the generosity of the loan programme. It simply works in a wholly unique way to any other dealer or internet service. Bravo.

And dont let the bastardos get ya down!
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic