FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

iPod & iPhone digital audio connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

I have an iPhone 5 and unless I am willing to "jailbreak it" the new lightning connector will not output digital out. Sorry but at this time I do not plan on jailbreaking the iPhone.

Very sensible.

The lightning connector does output digital out to my Fostex HP-P1 portable amp / dac. 
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Stewboss Stewboss wrote:

The lightning connector does output digital out to my Fostex HP-P1 portable amp / dac. 
It is "Made for iPod".
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:12pm
I thought the op was meaning that it didn't output digital at all.

Sorry for the confusion.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Stewboss Stewboss wrote:

It is "Made for iPod".
Graham, have you enquired of Apple what the licensing fee is? I read somewhere that it might be about $4 per unit, which might be acceptable to expand the Bitzie market.
Ifor
=====
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 8:43pm
I don't think the iPod has the USB power output needed.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 10:33pm
The website for the "made for iPod" USB DAC mentioned earlier talks about power by USB or battery, but doesn't make it clear whether it has to be battery for iPods.

Edited by ICL1P - 06 Mar 2013 at 8:07am
Ifor
=====
GoSUV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2013 at 7:51am
Currently in the portable market, there are only a handful of units that could accept digital output from an iPod and separate the DAC from the iPod's internal unit. Those are the Fostex HP-P1, Cypher Labs SOLO (yep, also called the Solo) and the Sony PHA-1. If you include the iPad's with the USB Camera Connector, then there are many more USB DAC's that could accept digital output from them, as long as they don't draw more than 20mA from the iPad, otherwise you would need a powered USB hub, or the DAC has its own power. The list of DAC's that supports this is very large, and constantly changing, so it would be best to just bring your iPad to the retailer and trying it out yourself. Obviously, units that need a powered USB hub to operate will mean no portability.

Now in terms of desktop units that could extract an iPod's digital out, there are the Onkyo's and Cambridge Audio's docks, and also Wadia's units. Do not confuse these with other docks that only accept analog audio though. I wouldn't just go by the "made for iPod" logo since it could mean anything.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic