FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Impartiality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
11rushgarrick11 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11rushgarrick11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impartiality
    Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 9:25pm
impartiality....

I have been quite ill over the past few days and I have observed many forums, not just this one. For whatever reason there seems to be a resurgence of late in people hunting out good quality audio again and this has to be a good thing!

I've noticed a lot of new folk arriving on the hi fi scene and a lot of new peeps with questions who are looking for guidance.

Hence the title of the subject above. I don't think everyone is getting an impartial look or view at the audio scene. For one reason or another people seem to keep throwing their own bias in. Don't get me wrong if you are on some manufacturers website you can hardly expect them to say why not go out and buy our rival... But how can you take a magazine review as gospel when you flip over the next page only to see a giant double page spread advert of that manufacturer.

I've bashed magazines quite a lot of late though, on this forum and others but they are not the only culprits by a long way. Individuals with their own objectives also don't help. I think for some its quite cathartic... If you've spent X amount of money on an item there's no better way to make yourself feel better about it than to shout your undying love and praises from the rooftops. Of course there are the genuine reviews and there is the genuine passion displayed by peeps it's just hard sometimes for folk to read between the lines...

I guess what I'm trying to say to anyone who is new or confused is... Advice is great but first ask, who is offering you this advice and secondly why are they offering it. I'm not saying be cynical the moment someone offers you sound advice. I'm saying above all do your own research wherever possible. Always try to audition the equipment you want whenever possible. You really don't want to be walking out with a 1k pair of headphones you had a chance to listen to for 5 mins in a store which has brand X plastered on its windows...

I'm also (I'm going to get myself shot one day) not a fan of partnerships. Brand X is choosing brand Y and so on. Again ask yourself the reason. Sure it could be because both parties products do compliment each others and this naturally happens in the audio world... But so does the ability for you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.. It's a very good way for both parties to promote their goods and to reach an audience perhaps they would have not done so before. What's wrong with this? That's good marketing.. It's just sometimes people feel compelled to rush out and buy both items with maybe only listening to one. Some folk may think its a natural partnership and to get the best out of their product they need to buy that other brand. Don't get me wrong some companies work with the others specifically in mind, but its chucklesome to read "works equally as well with others" Also its equally as whimsical to see that next year their love seems to have waned and now they are bedfellows with someone else. Remember...

The hardest thing with sound is that almost everyone's hearing is different. One lady or chaps too bright is another's just right...

But back on track..

There is a loan system here in place and any hi fi dealership or company worth its salt will be happy to let you audition the item at home. It's their opportunity to put their money where their mouth is.

One last thing...

I also remember from an early age the saying "self praise is no recommendation" Of course your not going to talk smack about the thing you've created, why would you. It is however so refreshing to listen to the humble rather than those who feel the need to force it at every opportunity. It reminds me of the preachers on the street.. It always rushes through my mind if your religions good no doubt I will find it over time with my own ear. And I'd like to think the same can be applied to the hi fi world.

I don't know why I felt compelled to write this tonight. I think I just got tired ofdealerships and folk bleat on with their own agendas.. That's my two cents worth, shoot it down if you wish but trust me even from a ex electronics engineer student B.Sc I've got it so wrong in the past...

It's a great hobby/passion but like most things in life there are plenty of folk willing to take your money...

Edited by 11rushgarrick11 - 18 Mar 2013 at 11:06pm
the real art of conducting consists in transistors :p
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 11:14pm
Thanks for sharing your advice on sifting through the Internet opinions. It is good advice and well put! I hope you're over the worst of your illness now and your music made things a bit more bearable.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
11rushgarrick11 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11rushgarrick11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 11:37pm
Thanks John...
Usual rubbish MS and to add insult to injury cold....

I've found a few albums I never even knew Tori had made so its been a nice find and pleasant.

Toyed with posting the above, not sure if its relevant for peeps but I genuinely like to see folk get that goosebump feeling by getting it right, 'twas written under strong painkillers (I will have to avoid those in future)
Perhaps I was a little on my high horse... Certain magazines and mumblings of late have been driving me mad... I think they are on the same pain killers ]

Take care

Ps postage is in the post as it where.... (Finally)

Edited by 11rushgarrick11 - 18 Mar 2013 at 11:54pm
the real art of conducting consists in transistors :p
Bradders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 12:00pm
A good rant is essential every now and then.Smile
I think overall its best to do more listening than reading when it comes to Hifi,although its very useful to get tips from other users.Wink
This is the first place I've found with a demo system program which I think is an awesome deal and shows absolute confidence in the products,its probably the way forward in some respects.I know I'd prefer to have a number of speakers left with me for demo at home when selecting those after all the room is part of the setup too.Smile
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Bradders Bradders wrote:

This is the first place I've found with a demo system program which I think is an awesome deal and shows absolute confidence in the products,its probably the way forward in some respects.
I think the demo system is THE reason that this forum works so well, because while you expect owners of the kit to like it, and enthuse about it, ultimately you have the opportunity to make up your own mind. Also Graham's posts here are full of information and wisdom for those with open minds - it's not often you get the CEO and Chief Designer of a company engage with his customers (actual and potential) in such a public way.

Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Bradders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bradders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 6:46pm
I know a nitrous forum that has a direct line to the owner but lets say he is...er....passionate about his stuff and calls EVERYTHING else crap theres no middle ground the rest is rubbishLOLLOLLOL

I get the feeling you get the real deal on here.Smile

Edited by Bradders - 19 Mar 2013 at 6:47pm
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Bradders Bradders wrote:

I know a nitrous forum that has a direct line to the owner but lets say he is...er....passionate about his stuff and calls EVERYTHING else crap theres no middle ground the rest is rubbish
I think I might have come across one or two of his disciples elsewhere.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic