FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

I hate speakers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
franklin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 1:13am
As Mr Slee mention sub woofer. I have a little experience
like to share. Few years ago I had a pair Harbeth P3ES on my desk.
They were working with my computer system.
And one day I want to try a sub woofer. I found myself a
REL sub woofer, which is a 8" cone with a closed enclosure.
I put it under my desk and the performance was pretty good.

This setup can trick my ears to believe the bass is coming
from the Harbeths. The setup wasn't difficult.
I just find the right phase, and tune the cut off frequency intuitively.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 8:39am
Thank you Cyreg and franklin. I had thought of getting the P3ES-2 but went to my pro supplier thinking it would be easier and faster... six weeks late and I'm running behind schedule, oh hum...

I thought I'd got the set up right then in wandered my 12 year old son Ryan. He spots invisible speakers for me...

"Invisible speakers" are reflections and Ryan's hearing must be like a bats! As you can see, he's searching for the reflection and it's coming from the flat screen monitors. He doesn't like reflections because they confuse the sound stage, and I don't either but it's harder for me to find them. Well done Ryan!

I now have to order some more Sonex tiles and I'll probably have to make screen covers or just prop a full one in front of the computer monitors when listening. Problems, problems. This is why I called this topic "I hate speakers". Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:15pm

Great photo and explanation as always. Very good hearing and love of music clearly runs in the family!

Helpful tip. Looking at the visual reflections can be helpful, try temporarily placing a plastic mirror or some foil on any matt surfaces to see if you can see a speaker in the reflection.

Graham, have you tried rotating the monitor away from the speakers? It may help to eliminate the reflection/invisible speaker without needing a screen cover which could still reflect midrange.

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic