FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
brubacca View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brubacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 1:00am
Raspberry Pi4 with Volumio is a simple as it gets.  For digital output try the Pi2AES card or Allo Digital DigiOne or DigiOne Signature.  

Regards,
Charlie
Pennsylvania, USA
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:19am
I have given Raspberry Pi based systems much consideration over the last year. I was originally set on the USBridge Signature (Pi 3B+ CM) with the DigiOne Signature HAT and Graham's DAK 5V 3A power supply. However, I did not want to invest lots of money into a computer that is limited by operating system, graphics quality and processing power. I wanted the choice to be more versatile and instead looked into single board computers with x86/x64 based architecture capable of running Windows if I wanted and with high quality sound/graphics options, even being able to connect/program some Pi-HATs to work if I wanted. Enter Hackboard 2, the budget mixture product. Not going to bother with the DigiOne Signature now I already have a Pink Faun PCIe S/PDIF card, as I can implement the Pink Faun with any computer system that provides hardware access to the PCIe bus and the power connection options on the PCIe card are better than on the HAT. I can even upgrade the clock and change the output connector board and fixing bracket if I want. Very few more powerful computers offer access to a Pi-compatible 40-GPIO layout so a £225 spend on the DigiOne Signature would be less versatile and with some operating systems, will require some additional programming to get working. I can still implement Graham's DAK supply for the card but will need an extra 12V LPSU for the computer, which will set me up for future-12V low power x86/x84 computers.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:23pm
Question... Reckon I could use my motherboard S/PDIF header bracket as a coaxial to optical converter? My Pink Faun card is dual coaxial output so imagine if I could convert one connection to optical so I have the option of either. The SPDIF pin of the three pin header would normally take the electrical signal from the motherboard to both types of digital output simultaneously meaning they are joined to each other by a continuous track. The +5V and GND pins would allow use of a 5V linear power supply to power the LED. There are a few small components on the board that I assume are resistors. As long as there are no diodes or transistors in the SPDIF path, there should be no bias or directionality so I can connect the coax out as a coax in?

Edited by Ash - 05 Apr 2021 at 9:37pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 9:47am
Graham, hypothetically, could two or three of your DAK 5V 3A supplies be daisy-chained to give 10-15V 6-9A? Maybe it isn't that simple? Could the 15V be regulated down to 12V somehow? Just curious.

Edited by Ash - 06 Jun 2021 at 9:50am
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:06am
I am trying to picture how you would daisy chain a PSU, but I am struggling….

As far as I can see, you put 240V in one end, and the electrickery gives you 5V at the other?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:03am
Ash, hypothetically and practically, No.
5v @ 3A = 15Watts
10V @ 6A = 60Watts
15V @ 9A = 135Watts
Theoretically 3 5V/3A PSUs could be wired in series, giving 15V @ 3A, 45 Watts, but other factors like grounding might prevent it working.
Seems like a good hypothesis for letting the magic smoke out!

Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:18am
Yeah, parallel you'd have 5V at 9A max but series, you'd have 15V but would have to be sure to not exceed 1A current draw otherwise problems with overheating.

Although 5V at 3A produces more heat than 15V at 1A so could draw more than 1A but not as much as 3A.

Edited by Ash - 06 Jun 2021 at 11:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
  Share Topic