FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:11pm
I've bought a Squeezebox Touch, Windows 7 installation disc and 9 different distro Linux installation discs. The Ubuntu flash drive I made seems to have an error and the operation of the operating system is unreliable with freezes and fickle booting. Hopefully these will be worthwhile investments for comparing sound quality. Next purchase is the S/PDIF card then the Enigma and DAK PSU.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:45pm
Okay, so got some Linux discs and a Windows 7 installation disc. Booted a Fedora disc and it seems to work fine; a similar distro to Ubuntu. Windows 7 is a different story however... The geniuses over at Micro$oft didn't think the user would need mouse/keyboard support in order to install the operating system?! Motherboard BIOS has legacy USB support and the devices are plugged into black USB 2.0 ports yet they don't work when I boot the W7 disc so I can't navigate any menus... *double facepalm moment*

Now I look into it, it seems to be quite a common problem. Ugh, looks like computers aren't going to be simple at all. Thank goodness I have that Squeezebox Touch coming whilst I try to solve such mundane problems.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm
It turns out that modern MB chipsets and Intel processors beyond 6th Gen don't support the drivers for Windows 7. Wish I had known that before dropping £50 on an installation disc and product key. Even my mini-PC is 7th Gen so probably won't work with it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:29pm
So it seems that the general rule for Windows is that new software can run on old hardware but old software can't run on new hardware, as Windows has dropped official driver support. This is assuming that the hardware is adequate enough to use the software. My dad's old Windows laptop which has been disused for several years can run Linux Ubuntu, Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 10 Home on just a single core Celeron and 2GB of RAM. The performance is quite slow but it gets there eventually. That really surprised me with Windows 10, with only 2GB memory. I wasn't expecting it to run at all. Maybe it uses hardware resources more efficiently than 7?

Tried installing Windows 7 on my i5-7360U mini-PC but mouse and keyboard don't work in the installer, as expected. So next motherboard will be 6th Gen or before, so I have some legacy support.

Edited by Ash - 27 Feb 2021 at 6:37pm
Delfalex View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:52pm
Just a thought but have you tried using a standalone installer whereby you can include the necessary drivers at the installation stage?

Alex
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 6:24pm
I simply don't have the knowledge or know-how with computers to be able to modify the ISO image from my disc. Others online talk about installing W7 from a bootable USB drive with added drivers. I managed to put a clean install of W7 back into my Dad's laptop but the disc contains no network adapter drivers so I can't access the internet via wireless or ethernet and all my other motherboards lack the USB drivers so I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I tried to install some .exe files on W7 last night from USB drive hoping they would provide the drivers but it didn't work.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Managed to find, download and install the Realtek drivers for LAN Ethernet controller and Wireless on the laptop. Progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 51>
  Share Topic