FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 51>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 1:27pm
Going for the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT rather than the Allo Digione Signature HAT. Would rather put the cost difference towards a better power supply. Plus there is already a steel case available.

Will be able to compare USB, optical and coaxial from a single device.
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:06pm
Hi Ash,
Looking forward to your experience on the "HifiBerry Digi+ Pro HAT ".
Power supply "Plixir built in SIngapore" "Kingrex from China/Taiwan" can be really quiet one's. Sonic benefits for the HifiBerry never tried. 
I use the "Plixir" for my QNAP NAS & a Topping P50 for my Router.
Is there a PSU expected for these application from GSP? (Not aware of all the topics in the forum)
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:18pm
Hi Ash,
The HifiBerry steel case provides good durable protection to the Pi and HAT and adds weight which helps it stay put.  I use them and like them, they allow WiFi and Bluetooth to be used. They necessarily have perforations for connections and ventilation and the 2 parts are not positively electrically connected, so (at computer operating frequencies) it's not a Faraday cage, but better than an EMI transparent plastic case.
Containing EMI requires carefully designed enclosures, you may remember the hoops that Graham jumped through in developing the Accession case to satisfactorily achieve EMI shielding.
With the high frequencies involved in modern digital devices, physical separation is your best friend.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 3:59am
Hey Vinod,
   This thread has made me reinvestigate. I have a Slee coax and a cheapish toslink hooked up now. The Slee coax winds on solidity and warmth, the toslink on calmness and detail. Not better or worse, just different, but I do wish the toslink had the acoustic mass of the Slee cable! After a few days of listening, I’m now favoring the coax. There you go. Nothing set in stone.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:59am
Hi Mick,
Thanks for the info. Yes if the Optical has the "Acoustic Mass" of the Coax definitely it would have been the super star. However I just wonder if a better optical cable can make any Difference. 
I plan to clean the optical cable tips with the optics cleaner we use in our work place.
In my work application it definitely increases the intensity of light through the optics, not sure of the Audio quality improvement. 
What is your opinion on your CD Transport? This is the Belt Driven model right? How different it is from the Conventional Direct drive Transport?
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 8:01am
I do suspect that USB, optical and coaxial will all be roughly equal performing in my intended system. This is because I have Lautus USB 1.2m cable and Lautus 1.5m coaxial, both of the correct impedances and my optical cable is a short 1m. I may try a more expensive glass fibre construction cable if I think it's worth a shot.

The main reason I think they will be roughly equal is the excellent design of the Majestic DAC. It is intended to get the most out of each input type. Nothing in it was an afterthought or budget sacrifice IMO. Will be great to finally do a comparison, especially with MySphere 3.1, which is transparency on a plate.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I might try wrapping my Pi assembled steel case in multiple layers of aluminium foil, including any unused ports, to see if this increases electromagnetic shielding and produces any audible improvement.

Edited by Ash - 26 Jun 2020 at 8:08am
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:40am
Hi Vinod,
   The belt drive supposedly has the advantage of moving to motor further away from the laser, thus reducing reading errors caused by vibration. Unless I had the same machine with a conventional set up, I’d have no way of knowing of how much of a difference it makes. It’s REALLY quiet mechanically compared to other CD players I’ve had, and I’m extremely happy with the sound. 
My only complaint is the price. Talking Australian dollars, the recommended retail here is $4,400, but in Japan it sells for $1,200 Australian dollars. So I bought mine direct from Japan. I think it’s around £2,200 in the UK.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 51>
  Share Topic