FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How British Should British Hi-Fi Be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How British Should British Hi-Fi Be?
    Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 1:05pm
Firstly I'm going to ask a question.

British Beef: should it be OK to put beef from another country in the supermarket packaging and declare it to be British beef because it is packed in Britain?

Obviously that is against trade descriptions and misleading, and the seller would be in serious trouble.

So why then should British Hi-Fi get away with it?

British beef has to be made of the flesh of British cattle. However, those cattle may have been fed on imported feed. I liken that to PCB level components like resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, opamps and suchlike ...  Britain after all does not make those things (exception: LCR Components)

But the major parts should be British IMO. Parts like the enclosure or case or whatever term fits best here. Parts like the PCB and the assembly of it.

The problem is that many of those claiming to be truly made in Britain (or England) aren't telling the truth. I read recently that an amplifier made in Britain has its metalwork made overseas. The metalwork is a major part - it's what you see - it holds the product together - it's its house! And it isn't British!

Then we see others also claiming to be British who use British metalwork but the insides are foreign.

Just what is it with these people? Flying the flag for the money and delivering you foreign goods.

I accept that it is impossible for a small manufacturer to buy all-British, but those with plenty of dosh should be putting it into making British mean British!

We don't have money - not the sort of money they have. Our casework (metalwork) is truly British; our PCBs are truly British; and the assembly is truly British.

I will admit that our basic power supplies are bought via a British distributor from Germany; that we have to use foreign made resistors, capacitors, transistors, opamps etc because they're not available made-in-Britain - but the major parts: the parts which make it British are made in Britain.

Perhaps it's only Yorkshire Hi-Fi firms that are honest?

Edited by Graham Slee - 20 Jul 2016 at 1:11pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 1:17pm
For those that truly want quality workmanship, honesty does sell.
You can find the honest quality you are looking for HERE in all Graham Slee designs.
http://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 10:32pm
Another insidious thing I have noticed is that one Brand that manufactures in the Far East actually has a large Union Jack on the front of their devices.

(warming sense of national pride)

and then you look closely it brags about the British sound not manufacturing.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 20 Jul 2016 at 10:33pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

and then you look closely it brags about the British sound not manufacturing.

And that is a perfect link to my next moan: the British sound.

From what I read elsewhere the British sound isn't all that great - perhaps that's why this Far East brand finds it so easy?!

I've heard people complain that it's harsh, bright and fatiguing, although initially impressive, and they will never trust the reviews of What Hi-Fi again.

It makes me wonder whether I should try and distance myself from the British sound?

Digging deeper I found one actual UK brand (part of it made overseas) didn't have any original thinking, and helped itself to a magazine project which is still within copyright (usually taken as being 50 years).

I remember a long time ago worrying about infringing the copyrights of others, and that made me determined to be able to design circuits myself (I was then in my teens).

What I found was in tune with Marie Antoinette: "There's nothing new except what has been forgotten" - there are no new configurations of circuits as such - however, those configurations can be done your own way. This is in contrast to what I find - often a circuit is changed a little: a value swap here, a different device there, semi-plagiarism??

So is this what the British sound is all about? The design I homed in on was a late 1960s design.

Back then designers were having real problems with solid-state bandwidth and stability, and using techniques to "improve" the sound which do not stand up to scrutiny today - simulation demonstrates the tell-tale signs which lead to the harsh, bright and fatiguing sound.

It has taken me many years (almost a working lifetime) to truly understand which issues cause that sound and even with fantastically specified devices like flavour of the month opamps, removing those traits is not an easy task.

I can see why they were so easily overlooked. Most of these problems are way beyond the audible spectrum and often below the gain-bandwidth portion of a device, and so it therefore doesn't matter? Wrong! It can be heard. Not the frequencies way beyond our hearing, often in several MHz, but its effect on the behaviour of surrounding and connected components - and it is this which causes the sonic problems.

This being the British sound is of great concern to me as a British designer. I do not wish to be tarred by the same brush. I want to "fly the flag" the best way, and not the way of others who label half baked designs with the union banner.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 7:56am
Never heard the British sound described as bright harsh or fatiguing though would have used those terms to describe the mass market Japanese sound as that some time ago.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Never heard the British sound described as bright harsh or fatiguing though would have used those terms to describe the mass market Japanese sound as that some time ago.

Unfortunately it seems there are one or two letting the side down spectacularly. Adverse comments don't do Britain any favours and British manufacturers need to ensure they are truly world-beating in the way their products sound. I am backing Britain by the way.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Unfortunately, all the N..m amplifier-speaker based systems that I have heard fitted this description. 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic