FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hey from Detroit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 7:06pm
Not knowing what budget you have or what you are willing to spend, the gram amp2 SE is a good start it's the one I started with. It may help us give advice if we knew what sort of gear you have too. A lot on this forum started and are still happy with the Communicator.
As most have said the loaner program is great and I used it to try out the Lautus cables which I ended up buying. As I think most would agree on it's your ears and only you that can say if you like the sound of something,  we all can give you advice but it's your money your spending.
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 1:56pm
Welcome, Mitch! I am Italian, but I have been living for a while in the past (2018 and 2019) in Pontiac... Nice to see someone from the Detroit area! I miss it sometimes (not the winters, though!)
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 3:40pm
Thank you, Lucabeer. Yes, we do have winter, here! 
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:09pm
Hi Mitch, as suggested  by others, the loan scheme is a superb way of trying out the Graham Slee gear and find out what suits you best  by listening. A word of warning though, it is addictive!. Like yourself I started  by wanting a phono stage that would give me more music from my old vinyl. I got a Reflex MM loaner and was sold on it within days, then ended up buying a  Accession as it offered equally good sound but with the advantage of a variable output that I use for 'ripping'.  But that was not sufficient, I thought if the phono stage can make such a huge difference, what would it be like with Proprius amps. You can guess the result, I have already got a Majestic pre/dac that has transformed my digital source and I'm waiting for my Proprius to be built. 
I've been lucky though, all apart from the Proprius have been bought 'nearly new' including some cables. So the financial and marital impact have been softened.
Enjoy listening and trust your ears.
Mike
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

... It may help us give advice if we knew what sort of gear you have too. ...
Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan.
  • Magneplanar 1.4 on the speakers end.
  • Ortofon OM30 cartridge, Signet XK35 tone arm, Thorens TD-160 Super at the beginning.
  • In between I have an old McIntosh preamp and a Hafler power amp.
Somewhere along the line, my gear became "vintage." LOL Only the McIntosh was already old when I acquired it -- it is long in the tooth and the reason I began shopping for a phono pre.

I could probably talk myself into going $500 USD, but half that would be better. MM for me forever.

Mitch

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 10:14pm
Working on the $ = £ the ERA Gold V is at the top of your budget, I have not tried this one as I went to the Refex M but you could go for the SE2 with the PSU1 power supply. the trouble I have is they are all good phono amps. Best thing to do is try out the loan program, If I was going for 1/2 your budget I would see if I can loan the Communicator and SE2 both of which you can add PSU1 later when you got the funds, What I can say is you will notice the low noise (pop and things) the bad things you don't want hear when playing Vinyl, that was one of the first things that impressed me when I got the SE2
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 7:16pm
I appreciate the thoughtful advice.

lfc jon: I have heard about the reduced pop & noise. I'll be interested to experience whether or not it's indeed true in my case. That stuff hasn't been much of a problem for me, either because of clean records, or my current phono stage handles it okay, or maybe I don't know what I've been missing (or not missing). And what surface noise I do hear I've accepted as part of the bargain, and I let my brain filter out what my gear doesn't. So, we shall see!

Mike: your warning about the upgrade-addiction (or is it a vortex?) is noted!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic