FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Help needed: Configuring 78rpm cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 12:12am
Thanks Chris....perhaps I need to temper my expectations...after all these are well worn shellac records from the 40s, 50s and early 60s :) But coming out of a 6 month LP archival work with Accession/Elevator...I am expecting the impossible. 

As I mentioned the sound is absolutely amazing...what remains is the noise of a well worn shellac...these are localized as mostly crackle. I will look into software based cleaning...VinylStudio promises to be gentle and not erase off complete sound frequencies :) 

Cheers
Shashi
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:28am
Shashi,
IIRC the 2M mono is actually a trick wired stereo generator - I might suggest trying an AT-Mono3/SP as a relatively inexpensive true mono cartridge with a 78 stylus.  The Mono3/LP is a smaller radius tip for microgroove records.
If that makes a difference then there are Miyajima cartridges tipped for 78 shellac records or the Ortofon CG (G shell SPU shape).
The use of a stereo generator may well be exacerbating the groove noise.
For restoration software try the free to try offerings from B. Davies at http://www.clickrepair.net/

Edited by tg - 07 Jun 2017 at 5:32am
Tony G
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 5:38am
Tony,

Thanks - that makes sense....Ortofon has the following to say about their 2M 78:
2M 78 uses a strapped output to deliver the same output signal from both sets of pole pins. This effectively eliminates the need for mono-specific equipment, making it possible to enjoy true mono reproduction on any stereo playback system. 

So it does seem like a stereo generator with strapped output. Surprisingly I found Ortofon Cadenza a fine mono cartridge with lower noise than Miyajima Zero.

And yes - I have been eyeing the 78 version of Miyajima Zero...I have been offered a discount for being a frequent customer...however the cost is still something I need to think twice about. 

I will look up the AT-Mono3/SP option for the meanwhile inexpensive upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestions
Shashi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic