FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Help needed: Configuring 78rpm cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed: Configuring 78rpm cartridge
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:22pm
Hi,

I am planning to digitize my 78rpm collection. I have purchased the Ortofon 2m 78 Phono Cartridge. Set it up on my P******t Xtension turntable. Configured Elevator Exp at 47 ohms (left switch all the way down, right switch all the way up) and Accession is set to English EQ (found it a bit clear than RIAA). My recorder input level is set at 0db.

However the vocals still sound very subdued. Compared to LP vinyl, the sound is also flat, echoey and lacklustre. Is that an issue with 78rpm pressings? Or is there further tweaks needed to my Elevator/Accession combo to improve?

Here are the cartridge details:
Technical data / Specifications
  • Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 4 mV
  • Frequency range at - 3dB: 20Hz-22.000 Hz
  • Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz: + 3 / - 1 dB
  • Tracking ability at 315Hz at 1.8g 70 µm
  • Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 18 µm/mN
  • Stylus type: Spherical
  • Stylus tip radius: R 65 µm
  • Tracking force range: 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
  • Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
  • Tracking angle: 20°
  • Internal impedance, DC resistance: 700 Ohm
  • Internal inductance: 300 mH
  • Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
  • Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
  • Cartridge weight without screws: 7,2 g
  • Replacement stylus unit: 2M 78

• Thanks in advance
    BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:43pm
    I don't know if there is an error, but you say you've set the Elevator to 47 Ohms, whereas the Ortofon spec says 47K Ohms, which should be both switches in centre position.

Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
    Chris Firth View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 7:45pm
    Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to digitize my 78rpm collection. I have purchased the Ortofon 2m 78 Phono Cartridge. Set it up on my P******t Xtension turntable. Configured Elevator Exp at 47 ohms (left switch all the way down, right switch all the way up) and Accession is set to English EQ (found it a bit clear than RIAA). My recorder input level is set at 0db.

However the vocals still sound very subdued. Compared to LP vinyl, the sound is also flat, echoey and lacklustre. Is that an issue with 78rpm pressings? Or is there further tweaks needed to my Elevator/Accession combo to improve?

Here are the cartridge details:
    Technical data / Specifications
  • Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec: 4 mV
  • Frequency range at - 3dB: 20Hz-22.000 Hz
  • Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz: + 3 / - 1 dB
  • Tracking ability at 315Hz at 1.8g 70 µm
  • Compliance, dynamic, lateral: 18 µm/mN
  • Stylus type: Spherical
  • Stylus tip radius: R 65 µm
  • Tracking force range: 1.6-2.0g (16-20 mN)
  • Tracking force, recommended: 1.8 g (18 mN)
  • Tracking angle: 20°
  • Internal impedance, DC resistance: 700 Ohm
  • Internal inductance: 300 mH
  • Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm
  • Recommended load capacitance: 150-300 pF
  • Cartridge weight without screws: 7,2 g
  • Replacement stylus unit: 2M 78

• Thanks in advance

The bit I've highlighted  suggests that all you need to do is remove the Elevator from the signal path.

Edit - Ian got in before me.

Edited by Chris Firth - 06 Jun 2017 at 7:46pm
    BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:10pm
    Oops, yes, no need for the Elevator really the 2M 78 is a MM cartridge.
    Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
    shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:08pm
    wow...that was easy...and you guys were quick with the response - many thanks.

Removed the Elevator from the chain and the sound has opened up to its full potential. In fact I had to reduce the input volume to -4db to prevent clipping. 

However now I can also hear the crackle/noise of the actual needle going against the groove - dust or tracking noise. This was subdued/removed when the Elevator was present in the chain, but I am assuming I also lost out on some sound. 

Anything I can do with the Accession CAP LOAD settings in the back? Currently they are set to factory settings.

Thanks again
    Shashi
    shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:18pm
    Another thought came to mind - would a different pre-amp make more sense - especially the ones with variable EQ - Jazz or Revelation? 

I own the Revelation C - however that is a MC pre-amp and may not work with the Ortofon 2M 78 cartridge.
    Chris Firth View Drop Down
    Moderator Group
    Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 11:56pm
    Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

Another thought came to mind - would a different pre-amp make more sense - especially the ones with variable EQ - Jazz or Revelation? 

I own the Revelation C - however that is a MC pre-amp and may not work with the Ortofon 2M 78 cartridge.

Not a good idea!
    Way too much gain.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic