FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Beave81 Beave81 wrote:

ok, thanks for feedback. What amp do you use? Also how much do you think you would have to spend to better the vm95ml? 
I'm pretty new to all this, obviously been listening to music for years, but when you get a good system can't help but think what sounds better!! 
I'm pretty happy with the Technics 1210 gr. Gonna have to demo the Accession I think!! 

The amp I use is fairly irrelevant I think as there is a no-built in phono stage on it. It's affordable 45wpc integrated amp that originally retailed for less than $500 USD. I have been through several phono stages and without getting into them all here I'll just say the GS Reflex M is by far the best one I've owned. 

RE: how much you would have to spend to do better than the ATVM95ML, I can't say because it depends what you mean by "better". Better in what aspect? Tracking? Stereo separation? Not be flip here but it might help to clarify. The problem with categorizing cartridges by price is that it fails to take into account different pricing structures due to differences in economies of scale between companies. Not only that but supplier costs as these cartridge companies often have different suppliers for diamond styli within the brand not to mention across brands. Then you have import taxes and such that often result in very different prices on cartridges made in two different countries. If you want to compare apples to apples with cartridges they need to have the same type of generator system and same type of stylus. 

One thing I have learned is that more money on the cartridge side does not necessarily mean better performance in all aspects. For me tracking has always been #1, with stereo separation #2 and other factors a distant third. I don't buy cartridges for "tone". I've heard cartridges that cost $1,000 USD or more that tracked worse than cartridges costing $200-$250 USD. Likewise I've heard cartridges that cost thousands of dollars that sounded amazing but they are so far out of my budget that they aren't worth thinking about for me personally.

The other thing is that people sharing anecdotal experiences online may have very different ideas about how a particular cartridge tracks, particularly at the inner grooves, which is where a lot of cartridges fall apart IME. This is not only due to differences in gear (tonearms, speakers, etc) but also the records we play and how well we focus on flaws while listening. Not all records are challenging to track - many are quite tame. 

Unfortunately I am cursed with an extreme sensitivity to IGD so there are a lot of cartridges which are acceptable for other people that are completely out for me. 

If you have a 1200GR you have a pretty flexible platform for many different cartridges. The arm tube is fairly light and you can use headshells of different weights to help deal with compliance differences among different carts. You could also install a KAB silicone damping system which some folks find beneficial with certain cartridges. 
Beave81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beave81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:07pm
Thanks, that's very informative!! As this is only my second turntable, the first being a Rega Planar 1. I've got lots to learn, to be honest I couldn't tell whether a cartridge tracks well or not, lol. Obviously the more you get into it the more you learn and pick up. Sounds like your more than happy with the reflex m. I maybe should give this a listen first and save myself a few quid!! 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Beave81 Beave81 wrote:

Thanks, that's very informative!! As this is only my second turntable, the first being a Rega Planar 1. I've got lots to learn, to be honest I couldn't tell whether a cartridge tracks well or not, lol. Obviously the more you get into it the more you learn and pick up. Sounds like your more than happy with the reflex m. I maybe should give this a listen first and save myself a few quid!! 

I think there is no harm in comparing both the Accession and Reflex M models if each of them are in your budget. The Accession was a stretch for me, but if it was in my budget, I may well have auditioned and bought one. When there is more bandwith in my budget I may give it a try, but I only got my Reflex M this year so I'm not in a rush to upgrade just yet. My next step when the budget allows will be to upgrade the power supply on the Reflex M to the PSU 1. For now I am using the wall-wart type power supply. 
Pwog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pwog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:28am
hi Chris,

Welcome! I’m new here as well. It’s a friendly community.
Paul
Acoustic Research ES-1, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Ayre C-5xemp disc player, Dynaco SCA-35 (updated), Dynaco ST-70 (updated and modified), Revel performa M20, Accession M, CuSat 50 interconnects
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic