FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello vinyl, my old friend...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Graham, what do you use as your reference vinyl turntable/tonearm/cartridge/phono stage? Regarding MC vs MM, what does the cold hard factual engineering say about it?

For such a long time it was a bog-standard Technics SL1200 Mk2/Ortofon 2M Black/Accession MM, and then something changed... a sort of enigma... the PSU1 Enigma to be precise, and I've been using the Technics SL1200 Mk2/Hana EL/Accession MC with PSU1 Enigma ever since (except for testing the circuitry of the "1970s Design Indulgence"). Yes, Graham Slee using MC, unthinkable not so long ago.

I am really sorry Wink this has happened to you at such a "tender age" Wink.

Your mechanical skills might save you a bit of money by buying a pair of used SL1200 Mk2's off eBay, and you'd probably need to find a new arm (which seem to be still available, and because the arm-lift tab is usually broken off, and the bearings are usually knackered anyway), and that little lot might cost you £600 and "lots of fun" making one good turntable from the two "bound to have been abused" SL1200's. I think I posted some stuff on here when I was fixing up mine (possibly in 2014). Usually you have to clean out the dried-up spilled lager which also siezes up the height adjuster...LOLWink

Or just drop £1200 on a new Technics (I do hope they are made in Japan for that money and not the "other place").

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 9:44am
I need to buy/pre-order the vinyls before I do anything. I cannot let these beautiful works out of my grasp.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

I need to buy/pre-order the vinyls before I do anything. I cannot let these beautiful works out of my grasp.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
We of a certain age refer to them as records Wink
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm
It has been suggested privately - because of my reply above - that I might have changed my mind about all the technical things I have written regarding MC?

I answer that here: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/mm-or-mc_topic1906_post56602.html#56602

And yes, the plural of vinyl is records Wink

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 3:05pm
I will probably go with MM then. If I go MC, I'd need that Elevator product to increase the signal size (?) whereas with MM, the phono stage is connected directly to the cartridge? For simplicity, that is probably easier.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 4:15pm
this may well be better for you Ash as you say  it the accession MC won't need the elevator.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:55pm
Hi Ash, Richard's tip about rips (aka needledrops) of your LP's for your use may be a cheaper route than buying a record player and all the gear. It is strictly unlawful despite the rips being copies of your own licensed copies of the music on records (never 'vinyls' please) so what about buying the vinyl and a digital copy, or seeing if a download is included in the LP package?

If you are definitely getting a record player there is a learning curve but a lifetime of satisfaction from restoring and maintaining second hand record players. You know we'll be here to help as much as you want. Budget is probably the key factor in MM vs MC, both can be very good and I am mindful you will have the full frequency range of young ears. My advice is to buy your records and use them to audition. Some music you know being played on different record players will help to explore what you prefer as they do have different sounds.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic