FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

Hello there

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Trioka1600b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trioka1600b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello there
    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 6:52pm
Hello all,
I found this site via an email suggestion, obviously in relation to my recent TT research.
We were talking about turntables in work and I decided to venture into the loft and got my dad's old system down.
The amplifier a Trio KA1600 B much to my amazement has been faultless, the Sony TT not so good.
So I got a Pro**** TT.
Very happy with it at present.
However part of me would like to get the Sony up and running again so may well be asking a few questions about that.
Thanking you
Colin

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 7:28pm
Welcome. 

You may need to send the old Sony out for servicing if you can't DIY. Vinyl Engine has a good library of owner's manuals and service manuals. 
Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trioka1600b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 9:14pm
Thanks for the reply.
Will register there tomorrow so I can get the manual downloaded.
The amp has two phono stages so I could use both turntables.
I am thinking about getting a Genera kit or the Gram Amp SE.
I like the idea of making one myself, however I assume there will be a performance difference.
Cheers
Colin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trioka1600b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
hello all
While listening to Queen today on vinyl I noticed that I was hearing distortion during some of the faster/busier sections.
I do not get this while listening to slower/less busy  tracks.
I think I have read here that this is described as graining and could be caused by the phono stage of my amp.
Would I be able to reduce this effect using an Era gold phono pre amp.
Or would a stylus upgrade be a better first upgrade, currently on an ortofon 2m red?
Thanking you
Collin
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Trioka1600b Trioka1600b wrote:

hello all
While listening to Queen today on vinyl I noticed that I was hearing distortion during some of the faster/busier sections.
I do not get this while listening to slower/less busy  tracks.
I think I have read here that this is described as graining and could be caused by the phono stage of my amp.
Would I be able to reduce this effect using an Era gold phono pre amp.
Or would a stylus upgrade be a better first upgrade, currently on an ortofon 2m red?
Thanking you
Collin

IMHO the 2M Red is not a very good cartridge. Again, my opinion only but it's one of the worst cartridges I've ever heard. So I think you can do better on that front. 

What phono pre are you using? A G.S. or something else? 
Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trioka1600b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:34pm
thanks for the reply.
The amp is a Trio ka1600 from 1974!
It has two phono stages so might swap things over and see if there is a change.
Only had the turn table a few weeks so don't think the other half would be that pleased at a stylus change (cost wise).
However might get away with a phono stage🤔🤞

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Trioka1600b Trioka1600b wrote:

thanks for the reply.
The amp is a Trio ka1600 from 1974!
It has two phono stages so might swap things over and see if there is a change.
Only had the turn table a few weeks so don't think the other half would be that pleased at a stylus change (cost wise).
However might get away with a phono stage🤔🤞

If the stylus is brand new, you can upgrade when the stylus wears out. 

A G.S. phono stage will be better than whatever is in that amp probably, especially if that amp has never been serviced. There is a good chance components including electrolytic capacitors inside are operating out of spec by now. That usually happens with a lot of old amps from the 70s that haven't been serviced. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic