FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Sutton Coldfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Gidders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gidders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 8:38am

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

At the risk of provoking a bit of controversy (Embarrassed) - you mention ripping in 24bit. The extra dynamic range over 16bit is entirely lost in the noise floor of the record. I've done many tests myself and can't hear a difference between 16 and 24 bit rips. YMMV of course Wink

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I'd second Bob's advice on bit depth for record rips. I understand 16 bits gives 96dB range which is about 20dB more than a very clean record on a quiet turntable so there's plenty of headroom in the ADC allowing gain to be applied with any other restoration in the digital domain. I must admit I usually record at 48kHz nowdays but am not suggesting you should do this.

Interesting & I'll experiment. Since my original post, I've invested in Vinyl Studio which I think was worth the entry price ~£30 for the ease of work flow over Audacity/MP3tag/Album Art Downloader but I notice on one of the help screens it says "recommended record setting for most users are 16bit / 44.1kHz (or for a little extra headroom 20bit) ... but then for 'most' users 192/256mp3 is acceptable Wink
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2
Gidders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gidders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

At the risk of provoking a bit of controversy (Embarrassed) - you mention ripping in 24bit. The extra dynamic range over 16bit is entirely lost in the noise floor of the record. I've done many tests myself and can't hear a difference between 16 and 24 bit rips. YMMV of course Wink

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

I'd second Bob's advice on bit depth for record rips. I understand 16 bits gives 96dB range which is about 20dB more than a very clean record on a quiet turntable so there's plenty of headroom in the ADC allowing gain to be applied with any other restoration in the digital domain. I must admit I usually record at 48kHz nowdays but am not suggesting you should do this.

Well I've done some experimenting. I've taken a number of different records which have been recorded at 24bit/96kHz and taken a track off each and output it twice - once at 24/96 & a second time at 16/44.1. I then had a music loving but non audiophile friend play the two versions of each track without telling me whether they were playing A then B or B then A. 

When we looked at the results, 80% of the time I preferred the same version which would suggest that you can hear a difference. BUT the version I preferred was the 16/44.1. At the outset my non audiophile friend didn't know what the differences between the two version was, but she had the same preferences - in her words the 16/44.1 were more music, less hifi.

How down sampling can make a recording sound better I don't know. The only parallel I can maybe draw is in the photographic world. There's a product called the Matabones Speed Booster which enables you to attach Canon/Nikon etc lenses to micro 4/3 cameras while reducing the focal length by 1.4 so a 200mm f2.8 Canon lens becomes an effective 285mm (200/1.4 x 2) f2.0 lens. It does the seemingly impossible of giving you a 1 stop light gathering advantage AND improves image sharpness. Whether down sampling performs some sort of similar magic I don't know.

The one test I haven't tried is recording direct in 16/44.1 vs recording in 24/96 & down sampling but as I delete the original recording after it's been cleaned & output down sampling there's no overhead for recording initially at a higher resolution.
Gidders
---------
LP12/Ittok/Lingo/Gram Amp 2 SE/L*nn Klimax Renew DS
GS Solo ULDE/PSU1/HD800
Naim 82/HiCap/250
Kudos Cadera 2
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:17am
I think too many people obsess over "numbers" in hifi - especially with digital. I went through a phase of doing that some years ago, but now I listen with my ears not my eyes on the specs . . . Wink

[ . .  and I came across the Speed Booster recently, having just got a Micro 4/3 camera. It's like a converter used backwards, and if you have full frame lenses you want to use on a Micro 4/3 camera seems a no brainer to use - but it ain't cheap . . . I wish I still had my old Olympus OM primes Disapprove ]
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic