FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

hello from newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hello from newbie
    Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 10:03pm
hello, been looking in for a little while as a guest finally thought I'd join in. Been interested in hi fi for a good few years and I listen to most genre's although I prefer classical and jazz guitar.
My system consists of a L*nn LP12 modded unto Cirkus fitted with an Ittock LV11 and sporting an Adikt cartridge, I'm using an old Aura 80SE-x integrated a Marantz cd player and Kef speakers on Atacama stands. I'd usually be using a Bewitched valve amp and stand alone phono stage but this has been packed away because one of my grandchildren got interested - luckily it hadn't been on that day - so safety first away it went.

That's when I noticed that the Aura's onboard phono stage sounded better than the standalone (yes I did try it through the Aura), so I looking at changing how the system is sited, I'm looking at hiding the valve amp in a cupboard so I'll want a better standalone phono stage.

Looking forward to joining in the general chat.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Bonzo Bonzo wrote:

.... I'll want a better standalone phono stage.
 Hello Charles, welcome & you've certainly come to the best place for that. 

You don't mention how much you wish to spend but with your equipment I would recommend either the Era Gold V, Reflex-M or if you want the very best, then the Accession. The loan program is pretty unique so perhaps borrow a couple of these and use them in your system for a week or two to help decide. Jon (Fatmangolf) is the loan organiser and can sort that out.

I'm confident that you will be very impressed at what one of the Slee phono stages can do for your vinyl playback...

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 10:46am
Another welcome from me Charles . . Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 11:35am
Many thanks for the welcome, whilst i take on board your recommendations - the ERA would probably be the default choice - my main consideration is my hearing, I'm going deaf. 

I use hearing aids but despite trying different makes (bit familiar this) I still have problems so I don't want to buy a piece of equipment whose performance is beyond my hearing capabilities, hence joining the forum to home demo. I'd originally thought of Gam Amp 2 Communicator with PSU1 or Gram Amp 2 SE with the green supply. Maybe the answer is a 2SE with PSU 1. I don't but I think going the home demo route will provide some guidance.

Maybe somebody else has a similar problem and can let me know how they got on. My hearing problem is a lack of high frequencies, my chart starts of well but then plots like a brick in water.
Bonzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 11:36am
Hello from meSmile
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Bonzo Bonzo wrote:

.....my main consideration is my hearing, I'm going deaf.
I sympathise with that Bonzo, I nearly went deaf both times I saw your namesake back in the day Wink 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 5:37am
We have a few customers with varying degrees and types of deafness who we try to help. It is a bit difficult to fulfil their needs and wishes sometimes but we have a try. I find it amazing that the hearing they have left can identify some of the differences there are between what we make and those of others, showing you don't need golden ears or perfect hearing to benefit. Also being approachable (like we are) helps break down barriers. A few of us on here aren't particularly 100% fit either... Smile

Edited by Graham Slee - 27 Nov 2016 at 5:38am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic