New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphones sound harsh with Reflex-M, suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:58pm
I once compared the original Solo UL and a pair of Proprius with a 120 Ohm load. They sounded the same.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:10am
You know, this topic is quite frustrating in that the same problem existed for me in 1979. The Cambridge P60 and Tangent RS4 speakers sounded oh so distorted and bright partnered with my brand new Rega Planar 3 (with a selection of MM cartridges).

When used with a Thorens TD125 (equally brand new, but not mine), it sounded superb. What was it about the Cambridge P60 that was so faulty?

With so many reviewers lined up behind Roy, butter has never melted in his mouth!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 10:52pm
Hi All
  Rega RP8/Apheta 2 with Reflex/EXP (waiting for new Accession MC!!!) and Solo ULDE into Focal Utopia. Magnificent. Volume control running between 9am (most pop/rock) and 12pm (quietest of classical recordings). I’ve never noticed any hiss, but I’ve never gone looking for it, I suppose. Incredible definition, focus and depth of soundstage. Instrumental colors are vibrant and authentic. I love it! A few friends with very different systems than mine have commented on how beautifully balanced it is. It’s interesting that many reviews of the Utopia criticism it as bright - all I can think is that the unit wasn’t properly broken in, or the Utopia revealed too much of what their headphone amp couldn’t do.

I am still stoked with my Solo ULDE. A piece of audio gold.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic