FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:24pm
What do you reckon to this, Jon?

Shades of Clearaudio here I think. 

It's Michell's own stand, but to me looks rather top heavy. Ermm

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 7:02pm
matches the gyro well looks wise but is higher than I would want and agree it wouldn't be great on floor boards!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:30pm
Well it's a nice Gyro SE with an SME V arm, a good sounding and looking combo IMO. I agree with both of you and the Clearaudio point is well made. I think the triangular tower frame is a little narrow although it is clearly set by the chassis dimensions. I know what the gyro/orbe chassis underside looks like so I'd prefer the top acrylic shelf to extend out under the chassis as I don't like the cutaway effect.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 10:07pm
After 33 pages I have just been asked the killer question: which Gyrodec mods would I recommend? I may edit the list later but here's my initial response:
  • Fitting the Orbe spindle with screw down clamp
  • Orbe platter
  • DC motor mounted in pod to replace the original Papst ac motor
  • Pedersen armboard isolation
  • Pedersen chassis suspension and damping
  • Decoupling under the three coned feet
That's just my opinion, would anyone like to offer their recommendations please?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 11:12pm
Jon, hi, whilst I gave up my Orbe aspirations when I got my Source and I cannot recap if this is something you have tried/documented but have you tried a power supply upgrade or does it already possess the top gyro PSU?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 8:09am
You are right that I haven't written about upgrading the dc motor's PSU. It's got the manufacturer's (OL) premium PSU I think. I may explore other options but I was impressed when the RPM Wow & Flutter app gave the Gorbe an even better reading than that for my SL1210.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:07pm
I will write some motor pod stuff up soon. In the time at home I've had at home I've been back on the Gorbe/IV/Hana SL for the last week or so. It is lovely to listen to live and I've been doing some v-ripping using VinylStudio with good results.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 32333435>
  Share Topic