FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GS for TD 160 / MP-200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:07pm
That real wood casing looks very good Tom. On its reputation I recommended the TD-160 to my colleague and then I refurbished it rewiring his SME series III improved arm, I was very impressed by the combination through my system. So I think you've made a great choice there, a real classic among turntables. It is quite springy so mY one suggestion is to put it on an isolation platform or ideally a wall shelf if you listen at higher volumes or have larger speakers.

Happy listening when the arm tube arrives! Please let us know how you get on.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:30am
Jon,
My TD 160 is the MK1 version, which has the straight TP 16 tone arm, vs the SME series III improved arm that you redid.
Most seem to think that the SME 3009 was a better arm, but it is also said that "if" the TP 16 is set up perfectly it should be no slouch either.
I was also looking for / at the TD 125, but the price for a nice example is getting to be crazy $ over here.
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 11:44am
Re your comments on surface noise from vinyl. I have a Reflex M driving an Ortofon 2M Black on a Thorens 160/SME series II arm that I bought back in the late 70’s.
Surface noise can be a problem but I find that after an initial good clean with record fluid, the application of a carbon fibre brush and a few blasts from a Milty Zerostat gun before each play works wonders. I definitely think the anti-static gun works for me.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Adytiger Adytiger wrote:

Re your comments on surface noise from vinyl. I have a Reflex M driving an Ortofon 2M Black on a Thorens 160/SME series II arm that I bought back in the late 70’s.
Surface noise can be a problem but I find that after an initial good clean with record fluid, the application of a carbon fibre brush and a few blasts from a Milty Zerostat gun before each play works wonders. I definitely think the anti-static gun works for me.

Thanks for the good tips Adytiger Thumbs Up

With my 35 year absence from vinyl, I have forgotten some of the things required for best playback.
Do you clean your albums by hand or did you invest in a machine to spin and vacuum?
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:19pm
Hi!
No I clean new or newly bought 2nd hand lps by hand with a cheap little Knosti Discoantistat  device I bought off Amazon.  Occasionally I might even wash grubby charity shop finds in ordinary washing up liquid first.
Then an occasional freshen up with AM record cleaner fluid and lint free cloth if they look like they need it.
Carbon fibre brush/ antistatgun zap before each play. Oh and I invested in some cheap anti static record inner sleeves too. 
A friend of mine also maintains that surface noise is greatly reduced if you use an MC cartridge but I have no direct experience of these (I always thought a decent MM cartridge cost enough money as it is!)
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:18pm
I thought about a record cleaning machine but they are big and bulky and for me it's storing the thing. I also looked into ultrasonic and I was going to make one myself but never got round to it (like most things) But I find cleaning by hand maybe work and time consuming but it is relatively cheap.
Tom. have you thought any more about which phono amp to get or the loan program and see if you can try both?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

Jon,
My TD 160 is the MK1 version, which has the straight TP 16 tone arm, vs the SME series III improved arm that you redid.
Most seem to think that the SME 3009 was a better arm, but it is also said that "if" the TP 16 is set up perfectly it should be no slouch either.
I was also looking for / at the TD 125, but the price for a nice example is getting to be crazy $ over here.

You have a really good record player with the TD160/TP16. That said it can only do justice to good recordings that have been looked after, so record cleaning is important.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 08 Dec 2021 at 6:38pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic