FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GS for TD 160 / MP-200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 7:58pm
The back ground noise (pops, hiss and crackles) is vary low. It was one of the first things I noticed when I got my first one and is one thing all Graham Slee phono amp are vary good at. As far as the phono amp is concerned there is no noise what so ever from it. I Hope this was what you were asking?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

The back ground noise (pops, hiss and crackles) is vary low. It was one of the first things I noticed when I got my first one and is one thing all Graham Slee phono amp are vary good at. As far as the phono amp is concerned there is no noise what so ever from it. I Hope this was what you were asking?

Yes, my noise concerns are 2 fold, how quite the GS phono stages are and the how they control the inherent noise of the vinyl.
That is GREAT to hear that the Reflex and Accession are good in both areas!

From my reading on which cartridge to go for, most reviews said the the MP-200 has similar
traits as far as minimizing the record noise.

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 9:14am
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum.
As you say there are 2 aspects to noise considerations. All amplifiers have some inherent noise, fortunately Grahams amps, unsurprisingly, have low noise. The other noise consideration is that from the vinyl surface, ie the pops and clicks. This is where Grahams designs differ in that the phono amp does not exacerbate these noises. It seems to be one of the attributes many people notice first on listening to a Graham Slee phono. Graham has explained his design philosophy in these pages several times, but the real test is actually hearing an amp in use. 
Now to one of the other unique features available, the Loan Program. You can borrow the equipment you're interested in to listen to in your system at home for a week or so. All it costs is the carriage to and from your Loan co-ordinator. More information here: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/canadian-loaner-program_forum66.html
Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 11:28am
Hi there Ian, thanks very much for the warm welcome.

As I mentioned earlier my horns are very efficient so they can definitely highlight any unwanted noise. Ouch
So having the chance to try one or two of Graham's preamps in my system would be a great idea!
I will look into the loaner program for Canada and see if I can borrow a Reflex and or Accession once I get my TD 160 back from my tech with the new arm tube and wiring.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 5:53pm
Thanks for joining us Tom. One of my colleagues has a TD160 with a OM30 and it is great with his Accession MM, if that helps? I also recommend the loan scheme.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks for joining us Tom. One of my colleagues has a TD160 with a OM30 and it is great with his Accession MM, if that helps? I also recommend the loan scheme.

Hi Jon,

I have lurked here on the forum for a week or so after getting interested in Graham Slee as a possible phono stage for my recently acquired TD 160.
I am feeling like a huge TT rookie, I have not had a turntable in my system since about 1986 when I sold my Oracle Alexandria table.
Big mistake, but larger was also selling off all my LPs in favor of the CD wave of the time. Confused

This new to me Thorens was a bit of a nostalgia buy, but after playing around with it for the last month or so I am thinking it will be more than that, hence the urge to get a proper phono stage.

I have done some aesthetic touches with a new plinth and once my tech swaps in the arm tube I will be ready to spin some vinyl!
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 6:27pm
Here is another shot.

1in Baltic Birch with Walnut veneer and then Birdseye Maple for the dust cover stop.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic