FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham Slee Power Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 10:42pm
Graham already knows the following,
A pair of Proprius connected to well designed higher efficiency speakers will produce more quality sound than a higher power amplifier driving low efficiency speakers.

And I was hoping to point out:
1. the facts of physics about efficiency and energy loss
 2. and that connecting more power to a speaker than it can handle makes it possible to burn it out.

It seems that most manufacturers do not want to specify the maximum power their speakers can handle.
They only want to tell the customer what they recommend for an amplifier's power to drive their speakers.

True power, measured as rms, is true power... not some magical thing that the public have been coerced to thinking. And true power is not something to take for granted or be regarded less capable than what it is.

RMS power ratings used to be the standard of measuring how much power one needed and used.
Just like the AC mains voltage in use, the same physics relationship exists...
  Power = Volts X Current = Volts squared / Resistance
REF: http://www.electronicsteacher.com/electronic-formulas.php

Again, one can burn out a speaker that is over-driven with too much power.
I learned the hard way on that.
 I used a 5 watt, 5 inch speaker to test a 100 watt guitar amp in 1974 that I just repaired.
At my friend's first twang of the guitar, the 5 inch speaker went "POCK" and a puff of smoke came out out of the voice coil. (The amplifier was fine, it had no DC on it's output, and worked connected to a 50 watt speaker.)
The largest power speaker I had was 50 watts so we tried again at 1/2 volume and it worked fine.

Speakers are very inefficient at what they do, in respect to physics and the energy lost in transforming electrical energy into mechanical energy and then into sound energy.

The best hifi speaker will compromise the highest efficiency possible for:
 smooth frequency response, lowest distortion, and power handling.

I still look for higher efficiency ratings in my speaker drivers and completed systems.

I always check to make sure the manufacturer specifies the maximum power handling of a speaker,
 if not, I go elsewhere.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 4:12am
The problem with hi-fi is there are too many marketing men or entrepreneurs calling themselves designers!

I guess if a guy sits at a drawing desk drawing out a front panel he can call himself an amp designer.

When the customer stops being taken in and figures out who are real designers and who are just masquerading as such, things might improve.

But that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm
Agree Graham!

Richard
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 9:36pm
Agreed. I'd much rather have my equipment designed by an engineer! The Proprius amps are a case in point, room filling with detail and dynamics even at silly volumes and sublime at night time levels.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 9:50pm
^
^
^
In my opinion, the Proprius monoblocks are like this. Mature, precise, agile, responsive, lean looking, powerful and influential.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2016 at 10:12pm
Whatever floats you boat, a lot better looking in my view (the proprious that is!).

Richard
Dave eyre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave eyre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 6:24pm
Wow I've just took most off this day reading and re reading this very informative thank you Mr slee
I read about your power amps online its very nice to be able to read about the development and design off them it puts a certain amount off faith in the product
Again thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
  Share Topic