FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

graham slee gram amp 2 se vs communicator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cristian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: graham slee gram amp 2 se vs communicator
    Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:11pm
I currently have the gram amp 2 and thinking about the SE version. 

How much difference is there between the two?

I'm using a project dc carbon esprit with 2m blue cartridge into the phono stage.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cristian - 28 Mar 2021 at 2:55pm
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 11:21am
I like my GramAmp2 Communicator with PSU1 better than the 2SE/PSU1; in my setup and to my ears ofcourse Wink
The 2SE sounded a bit clearer, with more highs, but a less integrated and less warm sound

If you don't use a PSU1 now? > imo that should be the first thing to upgrade for the GA2 for a much better overall sound!
And with a PSU1…. you'll be prepared for all the other Graham Slee phonoamps Smile

TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 3:01pm
Wink +1
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Cristian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Cyreg Cyreg wrote:

I like my GramAmp2 Communicator with PSU1 better than the 2SE/PSU1; in my setup and to my ears ofcourse Wink
The 2SE sounded a bit clearer, with more highs, but a less integrated and less warm sound

If you don't use a PSU1 now? > imo that should be the first thing to upgrade for the GA2 for a much better overall sound!
And with a PSU1…. you'll be prepared for all the other Graham Slee phonoamps Smile

Thank you. I really didn't realise the PSU1 would make hat much difference. Naive question, but does it need to go directly into the wall, or can you run from extension strip. (I am limited by my power source position)?

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
The PSU1 has an AC power lead about 1.2m (I'm guessing as I can't access mine to measure) long and DC lead of about the same length. The PSU enclosure is recommended to be placed on the floor or other solid surface rather than next to the phono amp it powers.
It would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade.
You could borrow one through the loan scheme to try at home just to make sure.

Happy Listening

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Cristian Cristian wrote:

Thank you. I really didn't realise the PSU1 would make hat much difference. Naive question, but does it need to go directly into the wall, or can you run from extension strip. (I am limited by my power source position?

I have all my audio powercords run from a 6-way WireWorld Matrix*2EU extension strip, so also the powercord to the PSU1 and I like the sound of this setup Smile

TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 10:13pm
I run my PSU1 off a Tacima mains conditioner and it still made a difference, Tacimais only cheap one at £40, I got it mainly for the power surge protection so the conditioner side may not be making that much of a difference.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic