FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Goldring 1042

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 1:50pm
Ivan,
owning the Reflex is like that I think Wink - first came the Era Gold V (out on trial with a friend ATM) then the TT upgrades, then the Reflex - now you have started me on I/Cs Cry
- the VDH D 102 arrived yesterday - had my first serious play with them this evening - they are staying (at least until I try the First Ultimate)
I considered the OL Silver before buying the Tecnoarm which I considered to have better wiring and be otherwise at least equivalent if not better.
The Acoustic Signature tables, particularly the Final Tool, having been getting some good raps from users out here in the antipodes.  
Paul Szabady who gave Grahams gear a really good review liked it a lot too.  http://www.stereotimes.com/turn041101.shtml
Me, I can probably avoid that particular temptation (for another 12 months or so anyway)
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 6:17pm

Hello tg

Glad the cables are OK, I'd be curious to know what difference they make over what you were using before.

Thanks for the steer on Acoustic Signature TT's, never heard of them to be honest.  I'll check them out though.  Final Tool is a bit of a worrying name though, can't decide if it makes me think of a murder weapon or an insult!Smile

I also hear what you are saying about the Tecnoarm and it makes sense that it should work on a Michell deck.  I'll try to get some sort of comparitive listen but it isn't easy these days.  It's well reviewed and seems like good value for money too.

Thanks for the info.
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 7:02pm
Ivan, I have read your recent postings with interest.

For too many years I lusted after a LP12, but couldn't justify the expense ( and was slightly put off by the hype ! ), so I went through various other permutations of Michell Synchro, various Thorens, Rega Planar ( even a secondhand Roksan Xerxes which succumbed to the droop! )etc.

Last year I finally bought LP12 and spent £200.00 on new motor, belt, springs, grommets, oil and professional set up, only to be disappointedCry. One of the biggest problems was the slightest knock on the rigid equipment rack, sent the arm across the record. Not good with a dog in the house! It was fitted with 1042. And worse, apart from the bass, it didn't sound a great deal better than the Planar 3Confused

At the back end of the year, I was perusing evilbay when I noticed someone fairly local selling a mint Michell Gyrodec with Tecnoarm. I was able to see it and listen to it, so bought it! It has a 1042. I contacted Michell, who were very helpful, and I bought the updated springs, belt, oil and QC power supply. It is now set up to the best of my ability and I think is brill ! It is also so much more resistant to knocks than the LP12.

When funds permit I may take the Orbe upgrade ( don't tell the boss ), but I have also invested in the ERA Gold V. I have bought a shelving unit from Ikea and rescued my vinyl collection from the back of the spare bedroom. They are now in the lounge.

Life is bliss, but I'm sure the TT could be improved by being set up even better !

Sheffield isn't too far from me,  I'm at the end of the M62, near North Cave, why not pop across and have a listen ( bring some ICs with you too Wink

Adrian.

PS I also play with airguns, professionally of course !

Edited by ABPest - 21 Mar 2008 at 11:46am
IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2008 at 12:36am
Adrian

Pest contol and airguns, yep that's gonna work. 

Just about to leave on a weeks break so no time to reply properly now.  I'll pick up when I get back.

Cheers

IvanM

IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 12:49pm
Adrian

Thanks for the offer of a listen, I may take you up on that. 

I have to say I love the look of the Gyro, it's a work of art, the SE looks especially dramatic. 

Since I no longer use a wall shelf, I also suffer a bit of wobble when anyone walks heavily by the stand and though the arm doesn't skate, it does make a horrible noise. If the Gyro is more stable it may stop me having to put a shelf up which I was considering.

Does your Gyro have the NC power supply?

What arm do you use?

Edited by IvanM - 29 Mar 2008 at 12:54pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 2:50pm
Hello Ivan,

Hope it was a good trip !

I have a Michell Gyrodec with an early Tecnoarm ( without the holes ) and yes it has the QC power supply. Cartridge is of course the Goldring 1042. Phono stage is the ERA Gold V, which will soon have the upgraded PSU.

I am bi-amped with ( original ) Audiolab 8000S and 8000P, into Quad L22s ( latest model ).

Sounds OK to me, but I could do to play with some leads and better extension sockets.

You are welcome to pop across, it ain't that far ! The wife make agood cup of cappucino!

Adrian.

PS I have solid floors and the Linn LP 12 was on a Soundstyle stand and was still affected by bounce !!

Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 8:54am
Hi guys,

If I can throw a friendly spanner in, we have the Acoustic Signature brand here and I think there are no more than 7 dealers in the UK so we're pretty lucky.  Currently set up is the Manfred turntable with the fully upgraded RB250 arm from Origin Live and fitted with Shelter 201 cart.  Using a Herbies mat at present, though have the Thorens (cork/rubber) mat as an alternative.  Tricky that comment about swapping mats to suss out the VTA as they affect the sound itself - one answer would be using the Thorens mat as there are 2 mats, each of the same thickness that sit one on top of the other.   (We are dealers for Thorens too - try finding another dealer anywhere nearby!).

Anyway, all that is finding it's way to the Era Gold V with PSU1 (ABPest - what are you waiting for!) then Cusat 50 ICs to whatever amp we fancy.  At the moment, it's the Shanling MC3000 (have a look, lifestyle fans) and into the Usher S520s via Black Rhodium Salsa biwire.

No springs on the Acoustic Signature - no jumps either!  Sitting pretty on a Target wall bracket, dead level.

Guys - come and have a coffee and a listen - appointments only please.  If you want to hear things sounding really good, I'll get the Luxman amp and Gershman speakers on the go.  You've never heard bass like it!

Here are a few links in case you want to have a look at some of these things....

2 final things...

check out Acoustic Solid turntables too - we can get them! 

and

All this about VTA - have you tried slightly toe-ing the cartridge in?!  The AT95E doesn't seem that fussy but the Shelter is a case where you set up the cartridge alignment so it's spot on and it sounds fine.  Then (as tweakers we all love this sort of thing!) try to toe it in/out slightly and listen again.  Get it right and it sounds even better!  A case of letting your ears decide but it's something I've found helpful in certain cases.  Would be interested to know if anyone else has thoughts on this.

All the best guys.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic