FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sibilance and Caps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sibilance and Caps
    Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:35pm
Sibilance is what you get when something in the circuit isn't all that good at doing high frequencies and distorts (either that or you're playing vinyl and have fluff - or a "baked on" film on the stylus...)

People often complain of electrolytic capacitors in the signal path but don't know why. It is due to them having wound foils to make the plates big enough to get the capacity required. The windings contribute to the capacitor's inductance and if that inductance falls within the audio spectrum or even an octave above, the result can be sibilance. We get around this by using types that have a much higher inductive peak, or by using film caps, or by bypassing in such a way as to reduce that inductance... to shove the inductive peak way up in frequency.

Being naive to the high-end I recently became aware of the fad of replacing capacitors in the signal path of amps with some very expensive wound foil in oil capacitors - 4 quid each I've been told!

I was chatting to a customer the other day and he said that since he'd had these wound (and hence highly inductive) capacitors fitted in his amp input stage, that my phono stage had started sounding very sibilant...

I thought Censored but decided to hold my tongue. Do you think I ought to have tried to explain or do you think I'd have been wasting my time?

Anyway, I just said that new caps could take a month or two to burn in and left it like that.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic