FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

LDR Volume Control Hot-Mod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 11:42am
Could you offer the entire kit except the LDR which would have to be sourced and installed by the buyer?
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 1:31pm
Hi Miguel, I don't think I can do that because the project says "George has chosen to share his Lightspeed Attenuator with the DIY community provided that it is only used for personal use only" and I feel that in doing a kit I will be breaking his copyright.

Having said that there are possibly other ways of making a similar attenuator. I have read articles where solid state analogue switches are used (cmos/fet logic controlled switches) and there is a possibility of using opto-isolators with analogue outputs - these use a transistor which could be used to pull down a resistor (a shunt) whilst another un-shunts another resistor.

All quite mind bending at the moment but I'm sure we will find an equivalent we here can make as a kit, it also being RoHS.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:53pm
I am also quite interested in this idea and look forward to what you might come up with Graham.

One point though, if all LDRs contain cadmium is not illegal to even sell or import this component in the EU?

Regards

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

I am also quite interested in this idea and look forward to what you might come up with Graham.

One point though, if all LDRs contain cadmium is not illegal to even sell or import this component in the EU?

Regards

Les

It is not illegal to bring in such a component into the EU, but it is illegal for a manufacturer to incorporate it into a product for sale within the EU. So why do they bring the parts in? Spares for repair of existing products, educational, infrastructure communications and control equipment, airframe electronics or engineering projects not covered by RoHS - these are the few exceptions. Unfair? We think so, but the Holy Roman Empire - oops! I mean the EU is the boss!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
jonclancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonclancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:43am
Hi All,

Just back from our hols and saw the thread.

A couple of thoughts...

George still sells the original Lightspeed in Aus, so I'm assuming they don't have RoHS there! Ouch  As Graham said, these LDRs are quite easily obtainable in the UK, but would have to be manufactured into an exempt device.  But, it is a global village.  I still hold that a board might be made available, and a simple email/PayPal transaction will see matched devices winging their way to your door.  This would not be a kit, or a manufactured item.  The board design could be made to drop into your existing Solo and seeing as there are only about a dozen components involved, it would be withing the reach of all but the most novice builders.

I was going to design such a board, but Uriah has an offer on at the moment that would see you with a set of four matched LDRs and a PCB for 30USD.  Bargain!  Would probably fit in the case fine.

http://www.buildanamp.com/

Of course, the custom version would just be better for fitment.....

Finally, I'm really chuffed you like the sound of the attenuator, Graham.  I was impressed myself, but I do wonder if I'm getting a bit cloth-eared as I get a (bit) older! Wink

Cheers

Jon

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 8:33am
Originally posted by jonclancy jonclancy wrote:

Finally, I'm really chuffed you like the sound of the attenuator, Graham.  I was impressed myself, but I do wonder if I'm getting a bit cloth-eared as I get a (bit) older! Wink

Cooped up in that noisy cabin at work probably doesn't help.... Wink

Having said that and as you noticed the difference with the lightspeed your lug holes seem to be in tip-top condition!
jonclancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonclancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Having said that and as you noticed the difference with the lightspeed your lug holes seem to be in tip-top condition!

I wish!! Confused  My top range is down to about 12.5KHz on both sides.  Most likely as a result of non-noise-cancelling hearing protection in my old work environment.

At least I can annoy my daughter with 18KHz tones.....  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic