FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Goldring 1042

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

My hi-fi stand is glass shelved and Michell advised against standing the GyroDec on glass, advising slate/marble/MDF I have chosen a lovely contoured 1" thick piece of MDF as my brother in law has a woodworking factory LOL I have however, aquired some marble which I shall have cut to shape!

Michell are most helpful, especially when you can talk to them by phone !

I have a Gyrodec SE/OL1 Modded on a glass shelf never thought to ask Michell... what did they say?

Armboard mod -  talked to Michell at a show in Manchester last year and they told me it was well worth it. Got it myself now one thing to watch out for though is that there are two versions for the Rb250 arms depending on whether you have a VTA adjuster or not.

I have just bought a Ortofon 2m Black after spending many a happy year with a Reson Reca which is a 1042 in another guise.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2008 at 10:49pm
Michell, do not advise standing the GyroDec on glass shelves Confused

Recommend slate, marble or MDF.....................

.....................you'll have to go for it now ServerB.

Let us know how you get on.

Adrian. 
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 5:43pm

Will have to look around about testing this on the cheap, hate to splashout and then get rejected by 'she who should be obeyed' for aesthetic reasons Unhappy

IvanM View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IvanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 4:06pm

Getting back to the original topic of this post, I have come to the conclusion that the G1042 is a pretty good cartridge.  It is, as I originally noted, quite fussy set up wise but the little bit of extra effort does deliver ample reward (I’ll not contradict myself again by saying that VTA is critical but it is; oops - I have contradicted myself again: damn!). 

Anyways, since I have had my Orbe I have noticed continued incremental gains in detail and texture which have raised my opinion of the cart.   A couple of nights ago though, I played Neil Young’s MTV Unplugged album which I hadn’t played for a year or two and it knocked my socks off.  There was a lot of new stuff that I just hadn’t heard before.  Of course the Orbe, the Reflex and the aging MK1 Ekos, also play their part in this but if the cart doesn’t collect the information in the first place it cannot be preserved or presented to the next stage.  So I reckon it’s a good bit of kit for the money.  I am therefore going to experiment with arms before looking at the cartridge.  I am also curious about the Cartridge Man Isolator.  This is mainly because I have come across nothing but good reports about it when googling for reviews on the MM3 cartridge (which I have pretty much pencilled in for future use).  I think I’d be reluctant to stick one to an exotic/expensive cartridge because of the risk of damage if it needs to be removed.  Also, it seems at odds with my understanding of the relationship between cart and arm but I might give it a go on the G1042.  If anyone has tried the Isolator, I’d be interested to hear their comments.

Edited by IvanM - 09 May 2008 at 4:19pm
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 9:00pm
If you can make it work, get hold of the Kitchen Worktop Savers from Morrisons or other supermarkets.  £10 each (you'd prob need 2 under a turntable which is a bit of a shame but I've not seen them doing bigger versions).  Gives you the opportunity to try out the Mitchell theory for not much money.  We use them under speakers on some occasions (the missus will like them under speakers but look at you with a quizzical look anyway - you know the look I'm talking about). 

I'm off to start a new thread now on the way our better halves (mis)treat us regarding our music/hi fi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic