FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Great Give-Away!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:06am
Graham,

I was wondering what would be the best approach for a 2 stage design. Is it better to have the first stage be a follower, provide half the gain, or provide half of the RIAA eq? Basically, I'd like to build a preamp (or mod the Genera) that could be set to any loading configuration for testing cartridges. Am I right in assuming that if all the gain is not being provided by the input device, the slew requirements will be much lower?

Also, what would be your opamp choice for low-distortion buffering?

-Bryan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:31am
My initial thoughts would be for a first stage to be a follower - what we want here is a stage that has more slew rate than the following stage so that the input capacitance can be taken lower.

The problem I can see could be its noise contribution.

I would not consider an op-amp because that could/would probably have the same limitations as that we are trying to avoid.

As such, the input stage would be "stand alone" - not included in the overall negative feedback loop.

Thinking cap time again Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic