FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

ย 

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Graham's Wrinkles (hints & tips)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rantalot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rantalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:42pm
The reason for upgrading the capacitors in the speaker crossover is the same as upgrading the cabling within the speakers, that is when the speakers were manufactured the product that has upgraded the sound was not available. Technology is moving at an increasing speed, you can now buy resistors that have a tolerance of <0.1% which wasn't available several years ago.
Replacing like with like doesn't improve anything it just restores the status quo, know what I mean.
Norman
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:09am
7 years ago I wrote the introduction to this topic and I've not written anything on the subject since.

Why?

Distractions!

2010: the EuP power supply fiasco... when our great EU threw a great big spanner in the high fidelity works. I have a crazy drinks coaster on which says:

The "Madness" Hamsters
Every night they visit you
Every night they come
And bit by bit
They steal your brain
And feed it to their MUM
(The interesting thoughts of Edward Monkton: http://www.edwardmonkton.com/)

2011: Japanese Earthquake... no words can describe how the rest of the world felt for those people and I felt guilty watching it all happen on TV - the loss of life and terror it brought to those people.

It also wiped out quite a few manufacturers of components we needed - another spanner in the works which took a lot of effort to work around.

2012: Olympics and Queen's Diamond Jubilee... Olympic years are challenging trading years - we have to sell to continue doing our great work, but it seems quality audio fans are also Olympic fans and sport comes first.

Because of complaints from people with hearing like bats, I redesigned the Solo Ultra-Linear headphone amplifier and needed all my wrinkles and tips for that. It needed a name and being the Queen's diamond jubilee, the "diamond edition" seemed appropriate for a British made headphone amp.

2013: We moved! ... 1 Monks Way was a "matchbox" and no matter how much we tried to build a Tardis over the years, it wasn't working. In April and May we had to convert premises into new workshop facilities - and the rest of the year was spent catching up.

2014: The Road Show... supposedly the first of many but it didn't quite work out that way. Still the Aylesbury show was a great success and I got to meet quite a few of the forum members for the first time. We had two hi-fi press visitors but they didn't bother to report on it! Crap support lads!!!

We also did Cranage - should have been called Crony-idge!!! Definitely a north-west dealer get together where this cutting edge manufacturer who dares to be different is not welcome!

2015: Rotherham show... great to see our core supporters again - those able to make it.

Callenging times... politics had really screwed trade this time! Eastern bloc and far east trade vanished because of political wrangling. What was a small company robbed of 70 percent of its income in its first quarter supposed to do?? We survived by morphing into HiFi System Components Ltd. Contrary to what our competitors might believe it was our decision and not that of our creditors who were paid in full and are still on board. An awful lot of work though but we're stronger for it.

My health... writing this one year on and nothing much has improved since my op, but still here and fighting.

The Accession phono stage... developed back end of 2014 and throughout 2015. Lot's of patent work, especially toward getting patent engineers to understand it!

New secure website https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/ completed.

2016: Preparing for the new... Our restructuring helped and we're now sat amongst the building dust of a 50% office expansion - a dedicated R&D unit so I can at last get on with all the ideas talked about over recent years.

Accession launched and Accession MC.

Maybe 2017 will see this topic take off?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 2:33pm
No one liking my sound deadening mod? No?

Anyhoo, back on topic:

When would your speakers benefit from re-capping/wiring?
Some of mine are 15ish years old, some less than 10. 

I like the idea of better internal cabling (& maybe some additional sound deadening??)

๐Ÿ˜‰

Edited by Old skool - 24 Jul 2018 at 2:33pm
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 5:28pm
I found the exercise beneficial on both counts though these are two different items.
My Caps were about 25 years old; would have thoughts 10 years should be fine, 15 possibly ok, though if having apart best replaced.

Improved cabling will changed the characteristics of your speakers, the end result will depend on the origin of the original wiring, the quality and material of the new wiring, how configured/wired (e.g. twisted, doubled up, soldered, booted etc).

Personally I would only recommend this if you are planning to keep the speakers longer term and to use the most suitable cables you can; not forgetting the binding posts will also likely make a sonic difference.

They may well take some time to burn in also and you wont know whether the exercise is worthwhile until undertaken.  If you are happy with the speakers, great if not would suggest looking elsewhere.

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 5:48pm
good advice I think. 

Liking what Iโ€™ve got at the mo. 

Even more so with the new Revelation. 

๐Ÿคค
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 6:53pm
Been playing records since lunchtime (paperwork day ๐Ÿ˜–).

Popped out for a couple of hours, just put a record on & itโ€™s making me Dad Dance round the living room even tho itโ€™s hotter than hell in here!

No better proof. 

Quite the upgrade. 

Hats off to the Wizards at Graham Slee ltd! ๐Ÿง™๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธ
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 6:54pm
sorry 

Totally off topic!

Just got my Revelation today ๐Ÿ˜€
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic