FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Reputable dealers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ramsay View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reputable dealers?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 9:37am
Anybody in the west of Scotland able to recommend somewhere good and affordable to buy quality vinyl? i fully intend to trawl charity shops however one or two take the p*ss when it comes to pricing (Byres road anyone?) and dont do much to look after their stock.. next to a radiator in a pile? ouch. still a few gems out there to find.
     my uncle worked for a charity in Shetland and dealt with rare/special records among other things. it seems that some rich and "famous" people like the tranquility and go there to pop their clogs, leaving first editions, collecters items, rare disks etc in perfect condition in their wake. i get the impression they do their best to sift these out and auction them for a little more than the 2 quid they might otherwise have sold for. I suppose is ok though since its for charity. it would be nice to go into a scruffy shop full of old peoples clothes and dig out a first edition pink floyd or something. dream on ..Clown

Edited by ramsay - 07 Oct 2009 at 9:38am
Monday you're the pigeon, Tuesday you're the statue, Wednesday you're the pile of sick that mysteriously disappears from the pavement overnight..
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 1:11am
Charity shops, market stalls, yard sales (car-boot sales), even some garden centres!

Some days you find nothing - others you might just find something worth giving a home to.

Maybe somebody you know prefers CD so much that they are willing to give you their entire collection? It only happened like that once for me, and it wasn't a very big collection.

I don't have a massive record collection - about 200 LPs.

There will never be enough time to play them all.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ramsay View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 2:26pm
damn, i just missed out on a mate giving me his whole collection as he was moving.. saw him last night and he said if he had thought i would have taken the stuff he would have dropped it off as he lived across the street! now his uncle has it. shame, there were some good records in there.Unhappy

Its funny, the world takes on a different appearance when  realise it is specked with treasure waiting to be bought and rarely played Wink Those dingy cave like dwellings inhabited by old ladies and festooned with knitted jumpers and second hand rain mates suddenly call out to me as I walk by them on a rain soaked afternoon.

Edited by ramsay - 13 Oct 2009 at 1:45am
Monday you're the pigeon, Tuesday you're the statue, Wednesday you're the pile of sick that mysteriously disappears from the pavement overnight..
Palladio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 9:33pm
I've bought 1 or 2 really good LP's at car boot sales and an odd one at a charity shop.
The prices were reasonable. I tend to buy most of mine on ebay but only go for excellent or mint descriptions (unless you pick up a new copy - which is still common)
Regards,
Kweith
BrentC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrentC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:03pm
I have found some of my best condition LPs from charity shops and boot sales and after buying LPs marked as "mint" online and unpacking them when they arrive to find otherwise my preference remains to look with my own eyes before buying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic