FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Monobloc vs bi-amping (and bi-wiring)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:28am
I Biamp my Audio Physics speakers with my John Shearne amps (Int + Power) on the with one amp handling the Mid+HF and the other handling the LF and this decision was based the physical limitions of the hardware (and cost).

The Biamping certainly opened up the sound however not sure if some of this was merely the fact that the amps are less loaded (they have a an unual output config**) than cross over issues, in fact Audio Physic by default do not offer biwire.  Biamping definately better than biwiring, I did biwire with older speakers before I got the power amp but not sure whether this was because I could hear an improvement or was a victim of hype.

The mono block route I guess should theoretically sound better as you would assume better channel isolation and (quality?) of components over the hybrid int+power amp route.

** Unusual - The outut stage seems to show some sort of valve amp behaviour in that the amp is 'designed' for 6-8ohm speakers and the output for 4ohm speakers does double but in fact is slightly less than the 8ohm output.

Wahoo 100th post......got a gold star, fortunately for me not awarded for the quality of post

Edited by ServerBaboon - 20 Apr 2010 at 11:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic