FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Help with a pre-amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:43pm
Thank you!
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 2:56pm
Given that Arcam are (I think) a reputable company,this is what they say re the steps I intend to take.."If you are using a Delta 290,a Delta 290P can be added to bi-amplify a pair of bi-wireable loudspeakers. THIS WILL REAP SUBSTANTIAL IMPROVEMENTS IN SOUND QUALITY i F THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS ARE OBSERVED" etc etc...Would Arcam make a claim like that if no improvement was afforded?
Rega P8, Exact m.m, Accession m. phono stage, Graham Slee /Chord interconnects, Dali Oberon floor standers.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:42pm
I'm surprised they didn't use the phrase "the differences are like night and day".
It could be hyperbole, or it might indeed be an accurate description of the improvement they heard with whichever brand of speakers they were using.
What did they cable their system up with, because that will have a bearing on things too.
A lot depends on the cabling you use - I've heard inappropriate cabling make a decent system sound broken.

A lot depends on your speakers and where the crossover points are.
If your tweeters are handling a lot of the upper midband then the difference could be staggering, if not then the difference will be less so.

Quote Would Arcam make a claim like that if no improvement was afforded?

It's unlikely, but the substantial bit could be overstating things a bit.
I'm not saying that it is, but it might.
They'd also sell a good few power amplifiers by making such claims.

The only way you're going to know whether or not it works for you is to try it.

frimmers3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frimmers3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:48pm
Proof of the pudding as they say:)
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:13pm
I used to have an Arcam A85+P85 set up. I thought it was a bit better than just the integrated on it's own, but not massively so. Same applied to when I had a pair of Moth stereo 30's bi amping. I haven't been inclined to go the same route since - in fact I don't even bi-wire my speakers any more and I've been happy enough using an integrated for years. I suspect the performance gains of using true monoblocks (like the Proprius) are greater, but it's a little hard to quantify what amount is down to it being a monoblock, or what is down to it simply being a better amp full stop.

Edited by DaveG - 27 May 2016 at 4:15pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 11:16am
I do biwire my speakers with Spatia cables (of course!) but in an older system some years ago I found biamping made little difference unless I was listening very loudly. If I had the money to spare I would love to bi-amp with another pair of Proprius amps, perhaps I should try this with the loan pair? The sound I get now with my two is much better than any previous amps I have tried and can go louder than I wish to listen!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic