FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius system integration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
janvda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janvda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

The only advantage I found was that you could use much better speaker cable for the same budget if the amps were next to the speakers.

Thx for the reply. 
That could indeed be considered an advantage. But I´m one of "those" guys, who is hard to convince of the advantage of expensive or esotheric speaker cables. Mind you, I don´t have trained hearing, nor am I an electrical or electronics engineer. So I can only go by my own experience. I do understand the importance of inductance and capacitance in cables (or at least I think I do). Hence I tend to stick to Mogami or Van Damme cabling.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 10:38am
Originally posted by janvda janvda wrote:

I'm one of "those" guys, who is hard to convince of the advantage of expensive or esoteric speaker cables

GOOD!

I do understand the importance of inductance and capacitance in cables (or at least I think I do).

Using extremes:

If the cable was sufficiently capacitive, it would divide the amplifier output at some signal frequency (an audible frequency), which, by negative feedback, would cause the amplifier to boost its output, and eventually go pop! (or the protection circuit would operate - whichever came first).

If the cable was sufficiently inductive, it would attenuate the upper frequencies to the load, and "dull" the treble. It would also "remove" the amplifier load, and if the amplifier were not sufficiently stable, would eventually go pop! (or the protection circuit would operate - whichever came first).

Inductance and capacitance in cables are inversely related - one goes up the other comes down.

The BBC found that a heavy duty microphone cable gave the best balance between the two, and used miles of a particular brown in colour jacketed microphone cable, ignoring the shield.

The Spatia speaker cable is the equivalent of the "BBC microphone cable" without a shield, and of slightly greater cross sectional area (less lossy), and a little lower capacitance.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 10:47am

Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

The only advantage I found was that you could use much better speaker cable for the same budget if the amps were next to the speakers.

Thx for the reply. 
That could indeed be considered an advantage. But I´m one of "those" guys, who is hard to convince of the advantage of expensive or esotheric speaker cables. Mind you, I don´t have trained hearing, nor am I an electrical or electronics engineer. So I can only go by my own experience. I do understand the importance of inductance and capacitance in cables (or at least I think I do). Hence I tend to stick to Mogami or Van Damme cabling.

I am another of those guys, preferring to find sensibly priced alternatives, often using the same base cable as a HiFi offering, without the associated price tag.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic