FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Was Vintage Audio Any Good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 6:48pm
That is what I found too. In part the isolation stopped my floorboards joining in with the speakers as well as stabilising them. A good test is to knock on top of the cabinets, before Gaia it sounded like I was banging on the floor!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:15am
The Valved Gismoid

In my tidying up and shoehorning myself into my 12ft x 8ft hobby museum, I rediscovered the valved gismoid I'd played around with several suns and moons ago. Some here might remember it.

I think it should have been placed in the skip, but the skip's now gone, and the thing is littering my desk.

I had intended it to be a preamp, and it measured good, but also measured bad. It measured good a.c. wise, but bad DC wise, and swapping valves of the same kind from different manufacturers changed the DC measurements, and eventually it bored me rigid, so was placed on a shelf to gather dust.

It needed at least 90V HT, but also needed 12V for the heaters, and I ended up using a voltage tripler (charge pump) made in a PSU1 to obtain the HT, and a SMPS for the heaters.

It's last use was for a jamming session when my nephew and my son were mucking about with the Stratocaster. The 90V PSU1 had long disappeared, so it was given a 48V supply from a Proprius power brick, and the gismoid's output went to a spare Proprius, which was in turn driving a bass reflex guitar speaker cab my son had made.

There wasn't enough gain, so being stereo, one output was plugged into the other's input, and that output went to the Proprius.

I was enjoying the mellow tones of the Strat, but they wanted to go heavy metal, and introduced an effects pedal for extreme fuzz. Then swapped out the Strat for a Gibson, and, admittedly it sounded fun, with renditions of well known Budgie riffs.

But it made me feel sad that it had come down to this, and in some ways it's like a dodie, but as a retiree I think it time to throw this dodie away.

So today, it's going in the bin.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:51am
Heavy Metal, with  Meat Loaf  and even Elton John got in the act and A2 and B300 Valves were changed to KT88 and others to keep with the power requirement. Met an Dire Hard Reggae DJ who is on the look Out for any old spares of huge transformers and assert '' Nothing else will do " to do justice to old Bob M.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:36pm
It's good you care about old faithful. I own several valve amps for guitar and some DIY stages, they are great. Yes I have cascaded gain stages, usually with some filtering.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic