FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Rega Ania

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
georgem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rega Ania
    Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:09pm
A question for those with SME 309's ; have you tried the Ania on a 309.

I have  gyrodeck with an SME309 and an Ortofon Quintet Bronze, which I really enjoyed for years however, I had to change to the bronze for another one as the older one bottomed out.  Oddly, it seems to sound a bit softer in the upper treble than I recall. One reviewer online suggested that Ortofon had revoiced it

The Ortofon is great for Americana, folk or classical but seems to lack a bit of bite, energy and treble extension for rock .  So, I was thinking perhaps a new cartride was might be in the pipeline. I read somethings about the Ania which seemed like it might be what I was after but not much of an opportunity to home demo it.  

I have only heard the Rega Planar 8 which comes with the higher end and out of my budget version of the Annia and was impressed with it being incitefull, fast and dynamic though just a touch lean. 
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 9:28am
Sorry nobody has popped up with SME 309 experience to offer advice George.

The Rega sound could be described as fast, dynamic but a touch lean as you mention.
When I owned a P9 turntable with RB1000 arm a few years ago it did fit this description.

The Ania does seem to be well reviewed & could be well worth a try.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
georgem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 6:10pm
Hi Rich 

Thanks for the reply . I guess no one has tried that particular combination and can't proffer a view, its certainly better than getting an unhelpful response 

I am going to see my dealer on Friday for a cup of tea and a chin wag ( usually an expensive conversation) so I might ask if he would be able to supply something to on home loan. He lent me the Rondo Bronze a long time ago.

I guess two other options would be a Dynavector as they are supposed to be a lively or a Cambridge Audio Alva HOMV which likewise is a bit livelier.   Other fora are replete with discussion on the respective merits of HOMC v LOMC but I suspect it comes down to your ears. 
georgem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 8:06pm
had a cup of tea with my dealer and got to play some amps and some huge PMC speakers. My dealer suggested that the rega arms are ultimately optimised for their arms and may not synergise with other brands, his initially suggestion was the Quintet black but I wanted something more dynamic than smooth, he then suggested the Dynavector 10x5 or Audio Technica OC9XML. 

I wonder, if I changed the name of this thread to

Which cartridges have people used on an SME 309

would I get more responses. 

I've not heard a Dynavector before and I know that the 10x5 has something of a following,  I heard an OC9 years ago which was ultra smooth and a bit soft at the top and bottom and was, a bit uninspiring, though that was many years ago and things have likley changed 
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 7:53pm
Hi George,
A recent thread here was asking of the relative merits of the Dynavector XX2 & the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. The Dyna wasn't clicking but a move to the Ortofon fixed it.
It's so hard to recommend cartridges.
Before it got damaged, I always found the Cadenza Blue to be a very dynamic, lively & engaging cartridge - designed to be like that. Can you consider the Cadenza series?
The forum is a bit taciturn at times and a bigger one might get more response - although some forums
tend to get a bit noisy & distracted.
All the best.

Edited by RichW - 24 Dec 2022 at 11:32pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 1:30pm
Can’t say I’ve done much comparing but I was using a 10x5 on an LP12/Ittok and it sounded really sweet with an Era V and then Accession M and then Hana SH. I’m using the Hana on an SME V/Orbe now. I really enjoy the sound is all I can honestly say.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
georgem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 7:51pm
i found an interesting review comparing one of the Hana cartridges with the Qunitet Black .  Interesting as the Black is not a smoothie , 

I hope to head up the Bristol show next year where Ortofon and Sumniko will be ,not sure if they will be demoing anything but if they are could be a useful opportunity

I am going to hold off on a cartridge swap for now as I might get a new amp and that will change the dynamics a bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic