FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx
    Posted: 13 Dec 2022 at 12:34pm
Anyone else had experience of buying from Massdrop or Drop as they now seem to be called?
I came across them while looking for some Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I wanted to replace my Beyer Dynamics which didn't seem to suit my move from Novo to ULDE. I didn't have an option to try out different headphones locally but after reading up on reviews thought the HD 650 would suit with little to loose if bought second hand. Then I found the HD6xx which Drop had on Black Friday offer at $199, which with postage and customs included would still be about the same as a second hand pair. After placing my order Drop lowered the price by $20 for Cyber Monday. I contacted Drop customer service and was sent a refund of the reduction within the same day.
The headphones arrived yesterday after an extended wait at Heathrow for customs processing. The product and packaging doesn't appear cheap or lower quality, I think the only difference to HD 650s is a shorter cable, which isn't a problem. Having let them run for over 24hours they now sound fine, well suited to the ULDE and with the prospect of improving with further use.
The Drop business model seems to be selling rebranded 'mature' products from well known manufacturers. From my experience the quality is no different from the original with a significant price benefit and excellent customer service. I'd certainly recommend them, if you're not in a hurry for delivery.

Edited by Mikeh - 15 Dec 2022 at 2:22pm
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 2:15pm
My experience is limited, but generally positive. I have a set of Sennheiser 58X from them. The only thing different than the description was the country of origin. Mine are made in Ireland, not Romania as stated on the site when I made the purchase. My guess is Senn has multiple factories, and different batches of them can be made in different places.

One thing you have to be careful with are the non-Drop branded products. These are basically group buys and the waiting period to get these products can be long. The other thing is, if you have an issue, it might be more difficult to resolve through Drop. They may just shoot you over to the manufacturer.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic