FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

FOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOS
    Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 3:42pm
We live in a world where many of those in hifi - users, reviewers, dealers, distributors - no longer have a clue of how things work.

If a company has a fancy or weird name, or has the approval of the wine tasting press, it doesn't matter if the product is a heap of junk dressed up to thrill, as long as they can keep the myth going.

What led me to write a book (work in progress) and to work on the amplifier most of it refers to, was to show that the company I represent does know what it's doing. Furthermore, most of its products are proven EMC compatible, and all of its products have been EMC assessed to the required standards.

But, from time to time we have to deal with non-technical people who think they know what's wrong with our products, when there's nothing wrong with them at all.

I'd like to call them what they are. Some of them are members here. They're only members for the discounts.

I'd rather speak to ten members, than have 4,000 members, some of whom definitely have rather large heads full of sh*t.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 5:08pm
Having another interesting day Graham?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Having another interesting day Graham?

More like an interesting lifetime.

I have been composing the introduction to my chapter on compliance with standards and here is my first draft.

"Standards Compliance

1995 saw the European Union stamp its authority on the electronics industry in its biggest  way yet.

There have always been standards of compliance to ensure a product manufacturer cannot sell unsafe or dodgy products, but the EU's move was quite shocking.

What I haven't been happy about, however, is that since the time these strict new standards were imposed, some "manufacturers" in other countries outside the EU's jurisdiction, have flouted even the basic essential rules.

The other problem is that the customer comprehends less about the basics year on year. When I went to a secondary modern/comprehensive school in the 1960's, it was important for at least the three top tiers to learn and understand at least a little amount about electricity - such as Ohm's law.

Today, the rules are extremely strict on EU manufacturers and those exporting to the EU, while at the same time, the customer is largely unaware of any of it.

This places a greater burden on compliant manufacturers and it would seem the unaware customer prefers to favour the produce of those that don't give a damn about complying.

So, here's a chapter on the importance of complying with standards.

I can see why there is no single overarching standard to cover everything, because if there was, it would make it really easy for any cowboy to set up and get hold of a "borrowed copy" and simply copy and paste the required bits.

Because of that possibility, the law is set out in implementing measures, and a number of separate standards make up each one of these implementing measures.

Therefore, several standards apply to any one product. The cost of purchasing each of these standards is somewhere between £200 and £400 at the time of writing. It can cost several thousands of pounds/dollars/euros, to be aware of their contents which explain how a product shall comply.

My personal view is that they make it difficult for the honest engineer wanting to bring an idea or product to market, but then again, these implementing measures are designed to prevent the unscrupulous gaining a foothold in the market.

The big problem is the unscrupulous don't give a damn about complying, and market their stuff to the unsuspecting customer. If there is any incompatibility, then those who comply usually get the blame. This is mainly down to the marketing lies the unscrupulous peddle, and the unaware customer often believes such convincing lies.

There are standards for safety, the main one being IEC 62386-1, which calls on a host of other standards, all of which must be bought for their contents to be applied.

There are also standards for EMC immunity and emissions, which the design engineer must apply and the production engineer must adhere to. This is where many an overseas product can get away with things, and again, cast doubt on a properly made product, by using the blarney of marketing.

The unfair thing is therefore not the standards but the unawares customer.

All a bona fide manufacturer can do is try and get it right and put up with the flack."

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 7:50pm
The honest people follow the rules like you do.  Is FOS about freedom of speech for all or some being full of sh@t?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic