FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hana EH Cart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hana EH Cart
    Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 12:45pm

Hey guys,

Do we have any GS user that have experience with the Hana EL MC Cartridge?

I just picked up a very nice Denon DP-62L that I will need to find a cartridge for.

I have a Nakaoka MP-200 on my Thorens TD 160 that I am very happy with and during my
home demo of both the Reflex M and Accession MM I felt either combo sounded fantastic!

Because I already have the MP-200, I felt I should stick with MM for the "new to me" Denon.
But then I learned that this hi output version of the Hana MC will work with MM phono stages. Geek
I read that pretty much everybody has very positive feedback on this cartridge.

My TD-160 is in my 2nd system and it is just plugged into the phono section of my vintage Sansui AU 717.

The new Denon will be going into my main system that currently has no phono stage, hence my home demo of the Reflex and Accession.

I am assuming the Hana EH should work nicely with either of the Reflex and Accession?

1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
2nd: TD 160, DVD 2900> Sansui AU-717> La Scala, Heresy3
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 5:31pm
It is well reviewed and will work with a MM phono input. I have had two Hana SL's so far. Different model but consistently very good sound and quality if that helps you.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:00pm
Hi Jon,

Yes, the Hana carts seem to get very good talk about them and it seems you are happy with your Shibata models.
Yours are the low output versions, so obviously you run them through your Accession MC.

Part of my dilemma is since I have yet to purchase a GS preamp, I am wonder if I would be better to
get the Hana EL and then Reflex MC or Accession MC.

But then I would loose the option of running my MP-200.

1st: Sony DVP-NS9100ES, Bryston BDP-2, Sansui, TU-717> MP-D2 DAC> W4S, STP-SE> XP-4080> 2A3 SET, CA-150> FH-1, K-402
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:52pm
It is a dilemma many have faced, MM or MC. You could get an AccMM and a booster like the Elevator (second hand ones may be available) or an SUT. I'd favour the former but others like the transformer sound.

I think the AccMC is superb and now have several MC carts so I was going down the MC only route. Then I fitted an MM cartridge in my SL-7 and kept both Accessions! Last phono stages I will buy.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 7:07pm
Ya, with Graham's philosophy of building his preamps specifically as MM or MC makes a lot of sense to me.
But it does make for specific choices when it comes to which style of cart to go with!
You are covered either way with your 2 Accessions! Thumbs UpThumbs Up

If I want to dabble in the MC pool, maybe the idea of a HOMC like the Hana EH is the way to go in conjunction with a Reflex MM or Accession M.

If I was not so over the top happy with my Nakaoka MP-200, it might be easier to go full on MC.
I would be shocked if the Hana EH (EL), or any other cartridge in and around this price point could better what I hear from the MP-200.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 7:27pm
I am fortunate to own two Accessions. Recently I got into Technics linear trackers which use T4P cartridges, nearly all MM now apparently and an AccMM brings out the best of the records.
Jon

Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 11:11pm
I use an SH on an Orbe SME V  combo with an Accession MM. I can highly recommend the Hana cartridges. 
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic