FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sharing a single power supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharing a single power supply
    Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 4:35pm
Quick question. Might be a stupid one but here goes.

If I have a 12V max 10A power supply from the wall and I have two computers that both require 12V input and the sum of their respective maximum current draws would be less than 10A, can I connect them in parallel to the same supply?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 5:50pm
Probably fine but I'd err on the side of caution, allow for peak current draw. If their combined draw is under 5 amps it should work well.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 8:19pm
The 2 computers sharing a common power supply may be sharing each others' noise. The only way of knowing is if:
 1 computer works fine on the power supply by itself with no abnormal data faults;
 and then 1 or both have data faults when both are connected to the same power supply.

If both operate normally when both are connected, then you're OK.

Each may have power input noise filters built in... as in local decoupling plus a noise rejection coil.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic