FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

hifi network switches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
notwelshyet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notwelshyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hifi network switches
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:38am
wasn't sure where to put this query - but, does anyone have any experience of using an audiophile network switch - such as the melco s100?

i use a bluesound streamer, and keen to try and bring that up to as close to my TT. i thought that the way to do it would be to add a good DAC (e.g. majestic), however a couple of chaps have suggested that my first port of call would be to sort the network switch to an "audiophile" standard and then choose a different streamer - so would entail the usual upgrade path....

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

charlie 

technics 1210gr, leema tucana anniversary, focal kanta 1s, accession mm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:27pm
Haven't seen or heard one, but the sceptic in me thinks there are better ways to spend £2k. Would a network switch be the weakest link in the chain from streaming service to your DAC? For instance your modem and router certainly won't be "Audiophile Quality".
Just my two pence worth.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
notwelshyet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notwelshyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:10pm
@backinblack - many thanks for your response. my modem and router are probably not audiophile, i think the switch is meant to sit between the network switch i have that feeds all the wifi discs and hard wired ports i have around the house. this switch, allegedly, removes noise and all the associated benefits.. but as you say you can spend £2k in other ways too..

to be honest i was sceptical re: power conditioners, but i could hear an improvement when i trialled one.. 

i may get one on trial and see what happens - just didn't want to go down the route of getting a separate dac and realise i could/should make changes further up the chain.. and spend on a new streamer

technics 1210gr, leema tucana anniversary, focal kanta 1s, accession mm
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:31pm
Charlie,
I know that (some) power conditioners can make a marked improvement and there are sound technical reasons for these improvements. Digital noise is most certainly a nuisance and impacts audio equipment performance in many ways if care is not taken in system and equipment design.
If you can try this particular switch for no real cost, then that is surely the best way of assessing it's capabilities. I look forward to hearing whether it does bring a perceived improvement.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic