FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
R66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:53am
Hi Ash, Why would Audio cables be subject to "Hi voltage flash testing" because if they are not changes to a piece of wires Molecular structure during manufacture is still a possibility. I cant engage on a science level but just bending a wire back and forth changes its structure.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 7:11pm
I reckon subjecting an extruded conductor to a very strong electric field (high voltage, high energy per unit charge) could affect net dipole alignment or net dipole moment in the conductor. Not that the size/magnitude of the signal would vary at all going one way instead of the other but I reckon it could affect timing of the signal. It could cause phase shift, not loss of amplitude. Signals are alternating currents but they aren't necessarily symmetrical across the x-axis.

High voltage flash testing is an industrial safety test for the insulation around wires when they are made, to make sure that electrical faults don't allow the insulation to ionise and become conductive of high currents and cause harm/death, I guess. I would have to read more, this is just conjecture. I have no evidence.

Also, mechanically bending a metal isn't going to alter dipole arrangement.

Bottom line is I'm not a researcher so I have no idea about dipole moments in copper.

Edited by Ash - 20 May 2021 at 7:45pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
VurtFeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VurtFeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 12:04am
I was reading an interesting conversation on another forum today about whether or not a digital step, like a DAC needs burn in as well. I admit that I left more confused than before, but it made more sense to me that it wouldn't make any impact on that as opposed to something like a speaker or a phono stage. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 8:25pm
An interesting topic. I agree that the analogue bit does need time to burn in. In theory the digital side is only 1's and 0's but changing regulators and capacitors just in that seemed to change what I heard on one of my previous DACs. Subjective but in practice the whole DAC gets burned in from new so the sound could improve over several days or more on both digital and analogue, no way to distinguish them. Just my opinion, others may think differently.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 10:11pm
The components within a DAC still need current to set dielectrics and the like, and some items like capacitors need to come up to temperature to be within spec, so there's at least something there. Whether it's enough change to be audible is a different question. 

More importantly, let's not forget that a DAC is wholly an analogue device; when receiving and processing bits it does so by the transmission of electrical signals, not literal numbers, and so is susceptible to the same interference as a preamp, and everything after the conversion process is of course analogue. If you have a google of "noise in mixed signal systems" you can find some really interesting things.

"Bits are bits" yes, but the noise problem really doesn't have anything to do with the successful transmission of data. A bit off topic, but interesting, perhaps?

My personal experience is that DACs have exhibited little to no burn in compared to speakers and amplifiers I've owned.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic